Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk headlight relays

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
vk headlight relays...PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

dhey everyone i was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice regarding the rewireing of the vk headlights with relays...
what wires supply the high and low beam etc and what type of relays

also where would one put relay on the starter motor
cheers

Last edited:

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
please i need help....no lights

my parkers work, my low beam has nothing..only 0.04 volts coming thru the dark green wires to the lights.. when i pull the indy stalk/combination switch for high beam the high beams work but dont stay on....
i plan to wire up relays to low and high beam but i have no way of doing it without totally rewiring the lights...
i dont really want to mess around with the light and combination switch..i would rather have a couple of switches for the lights...

any input would be really appreciated...even if somebody tells me how to get the damn stalk or light switch out

this is pissing me off as its my new v8 and until its rwc and regod i cant ever drive it outside of my complex which makes it tough to even get into 2nd gear...
baaaarrrrr so gay i just want to feel the rumble and hear the 308 under load load load in 3rd gear

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
just put relays in near the lights in the eng bay. cut the 2 power wires going to the lights. use them as the sender wire86,then 87 to the lights, 30 to the battery through a fuse,85 goes to earth. Do this on both the low and high beam with 2 relays. Thats if you want to keep the original stalk.
If you want to re-wire with new toggle switches put the relays in 87 goes to the lights,loop 30 and 86 together through a fuse to the battery and 85 goes to the switch and then to earth.
Hope that helps.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
See my thread here:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=22294

As far as adding a relay to the starter motor solenoid, connect the existing wire that goes to your starter solenoid to terminal 85 on a relay, terminal 86 goes to ground, terminal 30 comes from your 12V battery, and finally terminal 87 goes to your starter motor solenoid. So basically the ignition is switching the relay with little current flow and all the current is flowing from terminal 30 to output - 87. Use 25 or 30 amp wire for terminals 30 & 87. :thumbsup:

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
thanks for that guys cheers...
wondering how i take off the plastic bit under the steering collum to get the connector of the headlight dipper switch...

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I would be looking at your headlight switch. They can burn out if higher wattage globes are used. Another good reason why relays are a good idea.

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
how do i get the headlight switch out?
why wont my high beams stay on when i pull the stalk...??

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
sounds like the stalk is stuffed. dusnt the car come with headlight and starter relays already?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Pry the headlight switch with a flat blade screwdriver.

VK's didn't come with light or starter relays.