Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk help

Leigh23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss and vk commodore
Hi all this is my first conversation I've got an 85 vk commodore had a 6 cylinder in it has been removed to put a 308 back in. could someone give me all options and advice on what axle I can use I'm in nz and the vl turbo parts are hard to find.
I've found a vp commodore I thought I could use as a parts car if it had a live axle is this correct.
Thankyou for any advice

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
get the vp diff shortened was how the last few blokes I know went about it as the Salisburys were all rooted and not many mobs we know are interested in rebuilding them

H

harrop.senator

If vk is same fender to fender width as vl you can run a vn or VP diff in then stock length with 6" wheels and 205's. With rolled fenders we were able to fit a 235 on a newer 8. Think it was a vy as wheel. I think the offset for them is around +45.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Use everthing off vp v8 donor car you can to basically make it retrotech type build.

Few minor things need to be changed

vl-vn splined p/steer rack with vl p/steer intermediate shaft
back half of vl tailshaft or get vp rear shortened
tie bar under vp radiator needs to drilled/grinded out then welded into vk
battery tray out of vl fitted to drivers side or like most battery in boot
can fit vp diff into vk just can't really lower it much or have wider wheel due to much wider diff.

Being 85 & late build date might be lucky enough to already have b/w diff...check diff flange is flat...if has u clamps it's the junk diff.

The above is enough to keep you busy for a long time & Leigh recently did his vh slx conversion for good idea of what to do but using vp v8 donor will be tad simpler than vr/vs donor he used

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hi all this is my first conversation I've got an 85 vk commodore had a 6 cylinder in it has been removed to put a 308 back in. could someone give me all options and advice on what axle I can use I'm in nz and the vl turbo parts are hard to find.
I've found a vp commodore I thought I could use as a parts car if it had a live axle is this correct.
Thankyou for any advice
the vk 308 had a salisbury 28 spline axle diff, vk 6cyl efi had the bw 25 spline axle diff, if you can:t find the vl turbo 28 spline axle diff then use a vn vp V8 live axle diff but will need shortening as a few others have said.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Use a VL 6 cylinder diff and upgrade the centre and axles to 28 spline/4 spider centre.

Where about in NZ are you?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's got vk b/w get 28 spline lsd & new axles...if not same boat track down n/a 6cyl vl do same thing centre & new axles as different lengths to vk.

To get it running vp diff will be fine if can't find or afford the above.

Will also need shorter vb-vl handbrake cables for rear discs from rares or get too long vp items shortened.

Leigh23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss and vk commodore

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bugger. I have a VL diff here but not worth the cost to ship it all the way down there.

Leigh23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss and vk commodore
Bugger. I have a VL diff here but not worth the cost to ship it all the way down there.

Are you on Facebook so I can get in touch with you