Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK LED H4 upgrade

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
So I finally decided to upgrade the old std H4's bulbs to H4-LED's, at the same time did park, number plate, stop tail and indicator bulbs (including relay & flasher unit). I purchased them all on eBay from "holden-part-aus". Quality components easy to fit & great upgrade. As the LED base is slightly larger all I did was enlarge the spring diameter on the factory bulb holder. Good thing it's a direct replacement so the rubber boots fit straight back on the head lamps.

As you can see the white of the headlight is far superior to standard H4 halogen.

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Lonepine

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK Commodore Executive
OMG, the difference looks amazing. What about night time difference out on the road - how noticable?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Knowing how crap the lighting is on factory cars it's an obvious improvement.

Done anything to wiring or relays etc...quite common for vk-l to melt fuse holders/wiring

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Its not how bright the light is, its all about where is the light shining, most led lights on ebay are not designed to OEM standards.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Good photos @Lacksballs

But can you also add before and after pictures of the halogen and LED beam pattern when shining on your garage wall? That would give us all, including yourself, a better idea as to how good the LED beam pattern is and whether a LED upgrade in these old headlamp assemblies is going to blind on-coming drivers. After all, I'm sure you don't want to have a clear night time view of an old codger swerving into your lane because he was blinded by your new super white lamps :eek:

On that front, I'm sure you are aware headlamps which produce more than (i think) 2000 odd Lumens need headlamp leveling and washing systems to even have a chance at being ADR compliant. I'd hate to see your VH written off and an insurance claim denied because of non compliant modification, so just beware of the risk you are taking.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Good photos @Lacksballs

But can you also add before and after pictures of the halogen and LED beam pattern when shining on your garage wall? That would give us all, including yourself, a better idea as to how good the LED beam pattern is and whether a LED upgrade in these old headlamp assemblies is going to blind on-coming drivers. After all, I'm sure you don't want to have a clear night time view of an old codger swerving into your lane because he was blinded by your new super white lamps :eek:

On that front, I'm sure you are aware headlamps which produce more than (i think) 2000 odd Lumens need headlamp leveling and washing systems to even have a chance at being ADR compliant. I'd hate to see your VH written off and an insurance claim denied because of non compliant modification, so just beware of the risk you are taking.
That's the thing people don't understand brighter lights doesn't mean better seeing distances, car manufactures spend a lot of time getting the beam set right, placement of filament inside the housing is critical to get best performance, these LED are not made for car headlights it distorts the light which is actually worse than a standard bulb, if you want brighter lights then buy spotlights and use them with your high beam, You can always get plus globes these days go get 150 plus instead of blinding other drivers and having poor lighten. I think there is to much crap sold to drivers that are not ADR compliant, stuffed if I know how they able to sell crap like this.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A simple way to see if the globe is going piss people off or not, is to sit the two side by side. The LED should sit at the same position as the filament in the halogen.
Also best to get LED globes that have only two sides with a compact LED rather than long. Essentially that mimics the Halogen. Then the reflector works as designed and oncoming traffic isn’t affected.

People vent about headlights as a reaction rather than an action. It’s an opportunity to get angry with all the stores anger and negative vibes they’ve saved up ready to use for what ever opportunity presents to use this. “Headlights. Yes I’m angry! Here. Have some anger”. “Ice cream truck is too loud. I’m angry. I’m calling council. Someone will pay for this loud music.”
We are an angry society with plenty of angry ammo

Yes poor bunky globes will cause issues. Good ones won’t.

Once you have driven a car with good retro fitted lighting, you realise how much safer it is. Mine have allowed me to arrive at a destination with less fatigue. (The most noticeable benefit) Mine have also prevented us becoming a statistic a number of times because better road lighting allowed hazards to be clearer and we avoided them easily. With Halogens, no way would I have seen them the same or clearly and an accident would have happened.

I’ve driven in front of both my cars and toward them and not been bothered by the lights.

It’s really the dickheads that ruin it for the many.

I’m more concerned with Camry drivers using high beam in the day because it’s drizzling, or someone who has a globe out. I’m so angry about that. Pow pow pow.

What a great mod and here’s to making it a nicer car to drive.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A simple way to see if the globe is going piss people off or not, is to sit the two side by side. The LED should sit at the same position as the filament in the halogen.
Also best to get LED globes that have only two sides with a compact LED rather than long. Essentially that mimics the Halogen. Then the reflector works as designed and oncoming traffic isn’t affected.

People vent about headlights as a reaction rather than an action. It’s an opportunity to get angry with all the stores anger and negative vibes they’ve saved up ready to use for what ever opportunity presents to use this. “Headlights. Yes I’m angry! Here. Have some anger”. “Ice cream truck is too loud. I’m angry. I’m calling council. Someone will pay for this loud music.”
We are an angry society with plenty of angry ammo

Yes poor bunky globes will cause issues. Good ones won’t.

Once you have driven a car with good retro fitted lighting, you realise how much safer it is. Mine have allowed me to arrive at a destination with less fatigue. (The most noticeable benefit) Mine have also prevented us becoming a statistic a number of times because better road lighting allowed hazards to be clearer and we avoided them easily. With Halogens, no way would I have seen them the same or clearly and an accident would have happened.

I’ve driven in front of both my cars and toward them and not been bothered by the lights.

It’s really the dickheads that ruin it for the many.

I’m more concerned with Camry drivers using high beam in the day because it’s drizzling, or someone who has a globe out. I’m so angry about that. Pow pow pow.

What a great mod and here’s to making it a nicer car to drive.
I do agree with your argument, I'm not saying don't use LED but more concern on how many poorly designed ones out there that people actually are using, Why cant manufactures who make these LED headlights create one that is perfect suited and tested for each car model so us consumers can just walk in and buy the one that's 100% optimum for your car. We know its either H4 or what ever style but every new car made has a light reflector that is different.