Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk led headlights

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Wondering if anyone has any experience with led headlights into a vk. I dont really want to upgrade all my wiring and add relays but I suppose I could if I really wanted to just not that keen. Wondering if anyone has tried any plug and play ones off ebay and had much sucess over the factory headlights. At the moment my current headlights work about as good as a cigarette lighter in the wind

Vc4.7v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC V8/VF SS sportswagon
Mine used to be bad, dull I put relays on it with some Phillips globes they work mint now bright as make sure your reflectors are still good and not rusty

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Mine used to be bad, dull I put relays on it with some Phillips globes they work mint now bright as make sure your reflectors are still good and not rusty

I did the same, headlights look like a modern car now.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
The good thing with LEDs is that they don’t draw high current so no need to add relays to stop the factory wiring melting when upgrading to higher wattage halogen or xenon bulbs from the factory 55/60w (to be fair even with std wattage bulbs with high night use the wiring is substandard) to 90/100w or 100/120w etc. However without good reflectors & clean glass the luminous will be greatly affected. There are horror stories with cheaper Chinese led/hid H4 bulbs that don’t “dip” sufficiently & blind the on coming driver. The genuine Phillips H4 led kit is $250.00 compared to $40.00 for a cheap brand.....

Good luck.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
The good thing with LEDs is that they don’t draw high current so no need to add relays to stop the factory wiring melting when upgrading to higher wattage halogen or xenon bulbs from the factory 55/60w (to be fair even with std wattage bulbs with high night use the wiring is substandard) to 90/100w or 100/120w etc. However without good reflectors & clean glass the luminous will be greatly affected. There are horror stories with cheaper Chinese led/hid H4 bulbs that don’t “dip” sufficiently & blind the on coming driver. The genuine Phillips H4 led kit is $250.00 compared to $40.00 for a cheap brand.....

Good luck.
Do you have the phillips h4 led kit. What do you think of it? I would spend $250 as long as the result is decent did you upgrade wiring or no need to? I probably could upgrade the wiring if I really wanted to but I really would like to avoid it if possible. My headlights arent original holden headlights they are remakes but the lens and reflectors look clear no rust at all.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Do you have the phillips h4 led kit. What do you think of it? I would spend $250 as long as the result is decent did you upgrade wiring or no need to? I probably could upgrade the wiring if I really wanted to but I really would like to avoid it if possible. My headlights arent original holden headlights they are remakes but the lens and reflectors look clear no rust at all.

Hi bfhoon, No i haven't fitted the H4 led Phillips (yet) but all the research I've done they do seem a very good upgrade....

connors

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT Commodore VK SS Group 3
I'm looking at the JW Speaker LED kit. Apparently just plug in. Has all the LED required bits as part of the unit. Approx cost $199

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
I would imagine that this type of conversion could be illegal for street use .It might be a good idea to check with your state Transport and Main Roads office.Mate put an L E D conversion into his Patrol and was pulled over by the Transport Police and ordered to remove them and replace with original halogen lamps.