Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK removing brake booster?

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Hi.

A fe days ago my brake booster finally packed it in and i need a new one, but everyone i've talked to says that the brake booster is extremely hard to remove, I don;t really know how to remove it and all I've found are instructions on how to remove the brake boosters from 100's of otehr cars.

anyone got a tutorial for a VK?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
not a tutorial, but its pretty easy.

1. undo the master cylinder support bracket and master cyl nuts to booster, bend it out of the way but dont kink your hoses
2. unside the car you need a ratchet spanner or tube socket. from memory they are 13mm i think there are two, but may be 4
3. the hard part is undoing the clip from the brake pedal to the booster. make sure you dont lose the washer when you pop the clip off. push out the pin.
4. remove the booster.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah I'd say the hardest part is removing the clip and pin from where the rod goes to the pedal. Other then that it's pretty straight forward. Maybe do that bit first, then the hardest part is over!

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
I agree with Danny and Ari, the clip is the pain in the ass, the 2 nuts going thru the firewall to the pedal box are 1/2" one either side of the brake pedal.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
When is did it found the hardest part was getting the boosters pushrod off the pedal pin as the pin wouldnt come out, it was either seized in there pretty damn good or not removable. i couldnt see well enough to know which.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Awesome, thanks for that guys.

just went to the wrechers and i found a bunch of booster and master cylinders, and i thought, while I'm replacing the booster, might as well do a bit of an upgrade. But I got a few questions before i go through with it.

Do I really need a brake upgrade if I still have the stock front disks and the rear drums?

And what boosters/MC's can I fit in with no modifications needed?

Basically there are basically all commodores from VC's to VE's sitting at the wrechers and msot of them have boosters, what ones can I put in?

Edit: The pin doesnt worry me because I can get a pair of small bolt cutters in there to cut it off, and those pins I can get from most hardware stored.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
pin would be hardened so it doesnt snap with fatigue i would assume, but anything up to VS booster will bolt straight in, and VT/VX masters will bolt to vs boosters, but doing anything is useless while you still have drums on the rear as any newer master is proportioned to suit discs and will not have a residual pressure valve which is need for drums, leave it stock unless you give the whole setup a revamp.

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
ah yes. soz for the bad info. hate how the VK swaps metric to imperial

I feel your pain mate, gets worse when your doing conversions when you have to deal with metric and imperial theads as well.. got well versed with the tap and die set doing mine.

as VK 3800 said, anything up to a vs master will bolt straight up, but def get a rear disc setup or you will be waisting ur time.