Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK removing rust from the boot/buper area

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
wow, thats worse than mine!

P1011265.jpg

the rear wheel arch is pretty straight forward, just make sure you seal both inner and outer panels together really well, or the rear wheel will kick dirt up inside it and itll break out again in a year.

P1011264.jpg

the back panel is good and f'ked. best just go to the wrecker and cut a whole panel off so you know your mounting points for the bar are in the right spot. otherwise you will never get the bar sitting straight. on the plus side, at least you know that getting the spot welds off will be a breeze! i doubt there are any left by the looks of it.

you sure you wanna do this? if its that bad there i hate to see the windscreen scuttle and the parcel shelf...

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
that's fairly developed cancer mate. You can buy a replacement lower rear guard section from rare spares for about $60. Might be easier than trying to fix that
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/default.asp?car_type=17A&model=COMMODORE VB VL

as suggested above, might be more trouble than the car is worth. Looks like it's been sitting in the weather for quite a while. The more you dig, the more rust you are likely to find.

Probably cheaper and easier to find another bodyshell

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
what u see is all the rust other then some at the top of the guards under the quater window simple bog job thou

i have another car to cut up that has no rust but the rest of the car is f****ed i just wanna make sure there is nothing i should cut b4 i cut and then say "oh f*** shouldnt have cut there"

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
60 bucks for that panel is very reasonable. i would probably do that, rather than cut it off your other car. much easier to weld new steel.

anyway, these are all just guesses cos' i havnt got to my back panel yet but i think its something like this:
cuthere.jpg

happy to be corrected. but i think the only thing structural is the 'bar' on the boot floor and the spot welds joining the floor to the panel. as long as you just drill them out you wont hit anything too important.

be careful of the fuel tank.

Zort58

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate That is bad. I would be jacking up the vehicle and checking all the sills, floor, chasis bits, inside the front guards, under the screen rubbers and anywhere else to see if there is any other rust to determine if it is worthwhile repairing.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
alot of the vb-vk's rust here.
purely because of the towbars that are put on them, mate if there is no rust anywhere else and you have the time and effort to put in to fix this one i say go for it.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
that's fairly developed cancer mate. You can buy a replacement lower rear guard section from rare spares for about $60. Might be easier than trying to fix that
https://rsp-secure.com/rarespares/default.asp?car_type=17A&model=COMMODORE VB VL

just followed ur above link to rare spares and it takes me to a blank page and im unable to find the lower rear panel

ah ok, sorry don't know what happened
go to Holden/VK Commodore/Rust repair/Rust Panels Quarter panel section

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
alot of the vb-vk's rust here.
purely because of the towbars that are put on them, mate if there is no rust anywhere else and you have the time and effort to put in to fix this one i say go for it.

water also gets trapped in that rear panel when the tail lights leak (which is very common)