Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Rims - 15 upgrade to 16 inch handling improvement?

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
VK Rims - 15 to 16 inch upgrade handling improvement?

I wanted to know if it is worth upgrading from a 15x7 rim to a 16x7 rim on a VK sedan. Is there a noticeable improvement in handling, especially cornering or does the cost of rims and tires outweigh the difference? Thanks for any opinions

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yes there is a noticeable difference, car feels a lot more settled on hard cornering. I think I found the sidewall on anything less than 16's tend to roll under the rim on hard cornering causing the car to understeer & bounce. The 16's (50 profile) sidewalls seem to be a lot more rigid, giving more precise steering & handling. Of course a lot depends on the quality of the chosen tyre as well.

There is probably some improvement again with 17's, but beyond that I think the handling actually starts to decline as you need some sidewall & tyre absorbtion on the streets. Really low profile tyres on really big wheels tend to bounce over bumps rather than absorb some of the impact.

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Thanks for your info, at the moment I run 205/65 R15 (on 15x6) and am considering either going for a 225/55 R15 (on 15x7) or 225/50 R16 (on 16x7). I have done all the suspension so really this is the last component to get right and get the best bang for buck.