Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk speedo out

oOSparkyOo

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vt series 2 calais
Hello everyone i have recently bought a 4spd vk but i put 205/65's on and i think it might be throwing the speedo can anyone help with ficing or correcting it without changing tyres?

and can you get digital spedo's ?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
You need to change the speedo drive gear in the box, first work out what percentage its out, and what colour gear you have now. Also theres a drive and driven gear (i get the two mixed up, but a guru will want to know both, sorry but Im not a guru with this ****, I just play with speedo gears till it works :) )

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
205/65/15 is about 3.3% out, based on stock size of 205/60/15

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
Hello everyone i have recently bought a 4spd vk but i put 205/65's on and i think it might be throwing the speedo can anyone help with ficing or correcting it without changing tyres?

and can you get digital spedo's ?

haha in my VH i dont have the original gear box and i dont know what gear box it is and my speedo is out by 20kmph there is a place around my area that fixes em but if its easy i i do it my self

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
205/65/15 is about 3.3% out, based on stock size of 205/60/15

If thats the case, then swapping the drive gear wont fix it, each tooth is equivelent to 5 or 10km/h, so it would bne the drive in the gearbox need replacing to be 100% accurate.

haha in my VH i dont have the original gear box and i dont know what gear box it is and my speedo is out by 20kmph there is a place around my area that fixes em but if its easy i i do it my self

20km/h is alot easier to fix, check with a GPS if you can, and get a percentage figure.
Once you have the right gear, you just undo 1 bolt, pull the cable out hard, whilst tearing your hand apart on the gearbox cross member, jump in pain and smack your head on the exhaust, so swear some more and throw your ratchet, which bounces and smacks your kneecap..... once its out, put the drive gear off, fit new one, clean the blood up, and push back in and put the bolt in. About a 2 minute job, wounds may take a few weeks :)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
If anyone is chasing gears I have a full range of commodore speedo gears & info on my site to work out what gear you need.

cheers
Scott

Scott, not sure if you want to add this to your site, but a M76 with a yellow drive gear (10 teeth), needs a white (20 teeth) driven gear, when used with a 3:08 diff. I dont think its a factory combination, but this information doesnt seem to be on the net anywhere when I searched for hours. The above combination was also 100% accurate with a GPS.

[EDIT] With 205/65/15"

Last edited:

oOSparkyOo

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vt series 2 calais
thanks for tips ill check out what gear is in it and i went side by side with somone and its out by 10-30 khm from 50k's 60k's 80'ks might need a new speedo cable aswell

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
thanks for tips ill check out what gear is in it and i went side by side with somone and its out by 10-30 khm from 50k's 60k's 80'ks might need a new speedo cable aswell

Try and do it at 100km/h with a GPS.... get Speedos speed when GPS says 100km/h. and what the GPS says when your car says 100km/h.
GPS, is more accurate, also your not relieing on a person maintaining speed, or there speedo being accurate.

Vh driver

Holden Australian Pride
Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x
Hay guys im new to the forums and drive a 1983 vh, i have had this issue from the day i got it and have found out with gps and driving around that my speedo is out by 10 kph exactly from 50 kph on wards sitting at 50 is fine and at 110 kph is fine but between that its 10 out what would be the best way to fix this issue.

Thanks for your time guys
Matthew