Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK starter relay

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Does anyone have a diagram of an additional starter motor relay wired into the std fuse box. I know how to wire in the relay but looking for a stealth factory look using power & grounds from the fuse box.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I just had a look in a Haynes repair manual and it doesn't show any sort of relay for the starter motor....IMA my repair manual only indicates for a 6 cyl, so whether V8 is different in this area, I can't say...

With my 6 cyl VC, I have a relay wired in for the starter, mainly due to the loom in the car....When you go to crank it via the key, it looses power to the coil...So this was my fix for that issue

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
V8 & 6 cylinders don't have an additional starter relay but was common practice, I should have known better & fitted one before I burnt out my ignition switch contact.

I need to add an electrical lift pump as well & will wire them both into a loom & have the relays in the fuse box.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 3.13.40 pm.png

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
From memory, mine is wired with the power to the relay coming from the starter motor solenoid, rather than from the fuse box....

From that, I have the wire from my starter button to one side of the relay and then out of the relay to the starter solenoid...But in your instance, you'd be running the factory wire into the relay and out of the relay to the solenoid

The earth for the relay is earthed to the mounting bolt.

I think that's how it goes....I did it about 15 years ago....It's been in the current car for 7 of those years...The other years was in another car, so the memory is a little vague....

That being said, I can double check if so desired

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
controlrelay.jpg

if you wanted to use the tachometric relay vk's used to control the pump this might help it will put the start motor switch wire in the box for the starter motor relay. get the switch wire from the key to the box
vkwires1.png

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
Thats the plan, tachometric & starter relays. All the signals & circuits required.

Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can't even remember last time worked on a vk v8 with stock wiring...all been messed with badly or replaced.

Thought vk were first to get starter relay...yeah efi model has the big tall tachiometric(?) relay but way easier & cheaper to hook up aftermarket item from lpg installer.

Vk harness is like jumbled maze compared to most cars...

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
Mines still all virgin, I fitted the V8 and wired it into the original 6 eng cylinder harness plug. I've already got the tachometric relay so to make a loom & hide it in the fusebox "shouldn't" be an issue. I can pick apart the EST loom & use some of its wiring.