Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK stereo upgrade

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
So after many years procrastinating I have upgraded the entire stereo system in my VK. Removing the old OE Eurovox cassette player was very time consuming as I didn't want to break any of the trim pieces. Fitting the new head unit also required the facia to be narrowed to fit into the original GMH slot.

So 1st off new parcel tray (13mm MDF covered in cerulean vinyl) mounted 2 x 6 1/2" JL Audio speakers, next fitted 2 x 4" JL Audio front speakers into the kick panels, Alpine 4 x 100W amp mounted in the boot. All new speaker wires, RCA's, power/earth wires. (Amp fed directly from battery +).

Centre speaker made a 3mm aluminium mounting plate from a paper template off the original speaker, mounted into it a JBL 4" 2 way speaker (not fed from the amp but + left / - right front head unit speaker cable outputs).

Decided to mount an "old school" ALPINE head unit with CD stacker in the boot, cut into the stacker loom found the audio inputs & spliced in a "bluetooth" module. (I tried to make it work without the CD stacker but the head unit needs to see it "plugged in" as to allow it to be selected, "2 days wasted I'll never get back").

Anyway it's a great improvement, works & sounds fantastic, looks stock-ish!

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.JPG