Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK stock head unit and Pioneer 220w speakers

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey all,

This is going to be long so please bear with me.
My dad and I put in some Pioneer 220w speakers into my VK yesterday, but the sound that comes out of the is pretty piss-weak. In my VK, I originally had one speaker in the back, and one in the front, and I'm pretty sure this is how they are stock. So we weren't sure how we would put the two Pioneers in the back. We ended up wrapping the wires from the two pioneer speakers to the one wire that was connecting the single original speaker. We did this because we didn't know how to get the head unit out, and therefore connect both speakers straight into the back of that. We also cut the wires for the front speaker, because the sound kept falling back to the rear speaker, and carefull adjustment of the volume knob was needed to get the sound back in the front one aswell, which was just too irritating. So now I have the one speaker wire connected into the back of the head unit (the original wire), then the two pioneer speakers wrapped with that wire at the tip. This allows the speakers to work, but the sound that is coming out of them is less than impresive. Dad thinks that it might just be because the head unit is so old and crappy, but I'm not too sure. So after all that, here is my question; Is the sound coming out of the Pioneer 220w speakers bad because the head unit isn't pumping out any wattage, or is there something wrong with our dodgy wiring, or is there something wrong with the speakers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
First two are correct but the speakers are fine. For how long though is anyone guess.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I'm not quite sure if you answered this or not 12Voltking, but is the sound coming out of my Pioneer's bad because of the stock radio player?

I have since been to JB HiFi, and bought myself a JVC CD player, only a cheap one because I don't plan on keeping the car too long. It's a 4x50w cd player, does this mean that the sound coming out of my speakers will be better?

Cheers

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
b1b2b3 said:
I'm not quite sure if you answered this or not 12Voltking, but is the sound coming out of my Pioneer's bad because of the stock radio player?

I have since been to JB HiFi, and bought myself a JVC CD player, only a cheap one because I don't plan on keeping the car too long. It's a 4x50w cd player, does this mean that the sound coming out of my speakers will be better?

Cheers

You will need to run new wires from the new jvc unit to the pioneer speakers then the sound will be better.

Just make sure you have the speaker positives going to the positive and the negative to the negative.

As for your original setup it sounds like you had one of the speakers hooked up incorrectly. Or in other words 'Out of Phase'.

Good luck and let us know how it goes....cheers

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Thanks for the reply VQXTC, my dad and I sorta put the wires together without a great deal of knowledge :p. Anyway, I just need to find a mate who knows how to install the cd player into a VK then im set. I will let yall know how it goes.