Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vk throw out bearing help

Cugno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VK Berlina
Hi just, I got a m-76 manual conversion for my vk calais with a brand new heavy duty clutch kit.
However after a week of driving, the clutch wouldn't engage properly, even with the cable fully adjusted.
I took out the box and realized the throw out bearing had actually cracked where it pivots on the clutch fork.
I was told to put a VN throw out in, because there longer and ill have to push down on the pedal less to engage the clutch. Will this work? Or will it push in the pressure plate? Any suggestions?
Thanks guys.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
It only stopped engaging the clutch properly due to damage, I dont see why you should use one that's longer to do the same job.

Biggest problem with the newer throwout bearings is they are plastic housings.
Early ones were all metal.
Try to find a good working old type and chuck it in.
I'm leaning towards the idea of heavy duty clutch is too much strain on the the plastic type of throwout bearing.

Cugno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VK Berlina
yeah I don't understand because the throw out came with the heavy duty clutch. I was hoping for the VN one because I can buy one brand new that's metal. Every where I've called don't have any used ones or new metal ones. Hopefully the VN one doesn't push the pressure plate to much or at all. Is the pivot ball of the bell housing adjustable? I know some have threads on them, but I cant see how to adjust mine.
Thanks

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Last edited: