Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Transmission Slipping (I think)

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey all,

I have a problem with my VK sometimes where it seems to fall back into neutral, without me knowing, so when I press the accelerator it just revs pretty high then kicks back into gear, causing the car to jump forward then keep moving as normal. I have found that it happens when I have pressed on the brake firmly to stop quickly and then go to take off again, and also when I turn a corner greater than 90 degress slowly and then try to take off. I can sort of sense when it happens now so I don't put my foot on the accelerator too hard, I just press it in and out waiting for it to drop back into gear.
I think this problem has something to do with the transmission, but if not please let me know, and also if anyone has any idea on a price it would cost to get it fixed.

Cheers

Mr_Calais

go the K's
Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Calais and 03 VY storm ute 05 hilux
yeah i had the same problem with my vk when i first got it id go round a left hand conner sharp than kick back in 2 gear im not sure wat exactly it is but its something farcked in da gearbox gearbox so u were on da right track. I ended up jus buying a gearbox from a wreckers for $80 with wannanty and puting it in with ma dad down at a friends workshop it was bout 2 hours work

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Yeah.. i had this in my old magna.. tranny went a few days later.. itd an old box.. might pay to shop around for another one.. or reco your current one.. :)

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
whitevc said:
Yeah.. i had this in my old magna.. tranny went a few days later.. itd an old box.. might pay to shop around for another one.. or reco your current one.. :)

Don't stress too much. If its a trimatic, they are a pretty strong box. Give it a service and put a band kit through it. A band kit for them is only worth around $100 or so.
Kain

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
I just did my trans up as a spare & sorta for a hobby & it was around $70 all up.From memory I think the actual band was sumthing like $45 itself.Go to a transmission parts shop, they'll sell the parts for bugga all...

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
The service kits cheap from autobarn "gaskets and filter" for about 12 dollars. :yeah:

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
this is going to sound stupid, but are you sure there is enough fluid in your gearbox?

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
Matty081 said:
this is going to sound stupid, but are you sure there is enough fluid in your gearbox?

you'd be surprised how often this is the cause.............

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Tranny Slipping

SlapNuts said:
you'd be surprised how often this is the cause.............
Very true indeed.If you see inside the Transmission belly to where the oil pick up is located in the sump you'd see why.The Trans in an enormous hydraulic pump sucking horse power from the engine & needs oil under extreme pressure to provide drive.Transmissions are very sensitive to oil level, viscosities & heat stress.Sorry if I sound like a Scientist or a trans Greeny.ATF has a high boiling point & still remain quite viscous, but will still boil.The poor tranny often runs warmer than the engine, being at the rear, generating it's own heat & absorbing heat from the cylinder block.I've dun trans services here in my drive & filled up both our cars to where it should be & often as I drive down our drive(being on a slope)the trans will seem to drop into neutral meaning not enuf fluid.I also run huge V8 trans coolers on both our cars which is an excellent investment into trans life extension.Even if you don't tow, the extra fluid capacity & the cooler being situated in front of the air condenser does wonders & keeps the engine cooler also,..bonus..!!Often in summer periods the lame factory radiator trans coolers are ineffective & you fry the oil.Around $80 gets a good V8 tranny cooler, half an hour to fit it if you have the rite pipe spanners.I run a V8 cooler on her EFI Berlina 6 & neva had a drama.
P.S. I run small V8 fuel type filters on my trans & power steering lines.It prevents gall stones.

Last edited:

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Hey thanks for the replies guys. I will make sure to check out all the options you have suggested :)

Cheers