Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK v8 breathing problem/oil pressure problem

Bookanun

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having problems with the oil pressure in my vk v8. When i start it the oil pressure gauge goes up to flat out and stays there, what would cause this? Is it the gauge maybe? It has a high volume oil pump on it, but i have run them before and they have never sat flat out the whole time. Would it have something to do with rocker cover breathing? Do both rocker covers need to have breathers on them? I currently have 1 small chrome breather on it, is that not enough maybe?

Thanks in advance

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
could be the oil pressure switch

Bookanun

Reaction score
Ok i will replace that, anything else that could cause it? it has got me stumped! How do you know if your engine is breathing enough?

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
my oil pressure in the vb goes to near the top when i first start it for the day and hits the max at around 2500rpm, after about 10 minutes once its warmed up it sits just below the red zone. im assuming its normal as the oil gets thinner as it gets warmer, hence the drop in pressure

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
is it a procomp high volume pump many of them blow oil filters to bits cause the pressure valve doesnt work

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
how old is the oil pump ?
I'd be checking the pressure relief valve operation in the pump

engine PCV operation won't affect oil pressure, however it will damage the engine & seals if it isn't breathing properly

Bookanun

Reaction score
Not sure of age of pump, how do you check that?

Also do both rocker covers need a breather? I currently have one on the D/S front, just a chrome mushroom breather

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
One should be fine, the breather is there to release crankcase pressure so you dont have seals being blown out. make sure the breather is not clogged and is working, it would not have any effect on oil pressure however.

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Is it a mechanical or electric gauge?If it is electric the gauge could be earthing out.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
I still reckon it's your oil pressure switch. Process of elimination, start with the easy stuff first before you pull your engine apart. As VK SL 202 said check your breather valve but still this shouldn't effect oil pressure.

*Edit* I should probably say sender rather than switch since you have an oil pressure gauge rather than a silly light.

Last edited: