Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK V8 Starter Motor

Hgprem01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
I have Tri/Aussie 4 speed 308. Was woundering if the Hi-torque starters from VS-VT Turbo bolt patten will fit up to mine ok. If not, is a Hi - torque starter avaliable for these earlier models.

Matt

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
I have a VS starter in my VN V8 with Turbo 700 auto and extractors. Fits like a glove. :D
Had the same set up in my 4.9L VL with Trimatic. Worked a treat there too :D
As for it fitting your set up, not 100% on clearence but should bolt up to your block no worries ( just remember to get both new bolts to go with the new starter ). Here's some info if you're interested.

( TIP:- if you do the conversion, test run the car with no inspection plate on the box. When I did my VN I bolted it all back together, fired her up and sounded like the starter gear was grinding with the ring gear. Spent about 30 mins sussing it out and then realised I had slightly bent the inspection cover and the ring gear was grinding on it!! D'oh! )

The VT starter is the same as the VS but costs more as it has a heat shield fitted to it. The VS starter does hot have the holes drilled to fit this shield if you decide to fit the factory heat shield later. Good idea to go the VT if you have the room.
Try my other post (CLICK HERE) for some pics I had of the ol' VN starter beside the new VS one.
Good Luck :wave:

EVL253

i hate cops!
Reaction score
Members Ride
cranky black VB SLE
pysically it will bolt up its on th exhaust that gives problems.some older extractors werent designed to clear these and just dont fit. new pacies do though