Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK V8 tanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
That’s my recollection too. I believe a long-range tank was an option in the VK and routinely fitted to police cars.

My recollection was that (for some reason) the bigger tank option wasn’t available for the VL series at all.

I do recall the early Falcons also had a long-range fuel tank option. I can recall my father’s ZG Fairlane taking just on 100lts on one fill up. It must have been very close to empty though. That car didn’t have the spare wheel well as the tank used that space for the bigger fuel tank. I’m not sure if the Commodore long-range tank also used the spare wheel space?

The spare wheel in the commodores wasn't in the tank, like the falcons....They were off to the left side of the boot area....So the larger tanks didn't effect the spare wheel... :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can't go into the spare wheel well unless you drop the exhaust at the diff.....

.... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, not legal either though.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If you don't mind me asking, but what fuel sender unit are you using? I have a VS statesman tank here which is an 80 litre, and am wanting to put in the VC....The VS tank has the in tank fuel pump, along with 4 wires coming from the sender unit,which I don't need for the VC....The Vc sender only has a single wire

Thanks
The sender unit has 3 wires coming from it. The motor is a vp v8 not the original 308.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The sender unit has 3 wires coming from it. The motor is a vp v8 not the original 308.

Bugger...Thanks anyways...I should do some checking and see if the VC sender goes into the VS tank

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
VC sender won't go into VS tank as VC sender was screw/twist fit and VS is bolt in jobby. I have an 80L tank in my VK from a VN Statesman and I just cut the end of the wiring loom off the VN Statesman and did the same to my VK wiring loom then just soldered them together and plugged it into the VS sender on the 80L tank and gauge works fine. I also had to replace the submersible fuel line inside of 80L tank.

Attachments

• IMG20201210190420[1].jpg
    IMG20201210190420[1].jpg
    247 KB · Views: 101

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VC sender won't go into VS tank as VC sender was screw/twist fit and VS is bolt in jobby. I have an 80L tank in my VK from a VN Statesman and I just cut the end of the wiring loom off the VN Statesman and did the same to my VK wiring loom then just soldered them together and plugged it into the VS sender on the 80L tank and gauge works fine. I also had to replace the submersible fuel line inside of 80L tank.

Thanks for the input...What wire on the VS sender unit matches up with the VC loom?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hey all,

I have a V8 Calais which needed a new tank. I ended up buying two which were the same size as the original. But I think they are 65 litre tanks, not the larger 80 litre. Is there any way to tell other than filling it up with water and measuring it? Also I was under the impression that all V8s had the larger tank as standard. Is this wrong? Did some V8s come out with 65 litre tanks?

Thanks in advance guys.

.. for the record ALL, repeat ALL VB-VL model sedans vehicles had ONE fuel tank a 63 litre jobbie.
no larger one for V8s or for Country packs or BT1s ( I have a VK BT1) , just one 63 litre tank
ditto with wagons...65 litre
so
a 4 cyl VC Commodore got the same size tank as HDT 5.0 VC Commodore!

talking HDT.. on VH and VK, they (HDT that is) as an accessory or spare part ,did offer a 80 litre tank.
This was made by taking a 63 litre tank, cutting the top off and welding in a metal band around the tank
(to increase capacity)... and then welding the top back on.

pushingMACH8

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VK Calais
.. for the record ALL, repeat ALL VB-VL model sedans vehicles had ONE fuel tank a 63 litre jobbie.
no larger one for V8s or for Country packs or BT1s ( I have a VK BT1) , just one 63 litre tank
ditto with wagons...65 litre
so
a 4 cyl VC Commodore got the same size tank as HDT 5.0 VC Commodore!

talking HDT.. on VH and VK, they (HDT that is) as an accessory or spare part ,did offer a 80 litre tank.
This was made by taking a 63 litre tank, cutting the top off and welding in a metal band around the tank
(to increase capacity)... and then welding the top back on.

I found out about the metal band expansion just yesterday, though I didn't know it was HDT that optioned it. Lots of people still call the standard tank a "6 cylinder" tank and that's the part that confused me. Cheers for the clarification mate!

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Thanks for the input...What wire on the VS sender unit matches up with the VC loom?

The VN sender plug has 3 pins but 2 of them are joined. The wiring was just 2 wires which were the same colour as the VK (Black & Tan) so I just joined the same colour wires together and then filled the tank and checked gauge and it worked fine.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Agree was no big tank option untill efi series vn luxury cars...everything before that was small tank with attached filler neck & only real differences being fuel sender units & efi return line on side for efi vk/l models.

Never knew about HDT option tank although did see some owners splurge on drop tanks but those were more like track cars with simmons back then...rich people lol