Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK vacum and stuff

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi guys,
This is probably a question that Scott will be able to answer so lets see how we go.

I am in the middle of totally redoing my A/C.
I have always had this problem where the vacum motor for the center vent only opens half way. I noticed that this motor has two inputs. The one on the end will pull the push rod half way when vacum is applied and the one on the side will leak vacum when vacum is applied unless the pushrod is pushed halfway in. Then it will hold the pushrod at halfway. When these two are combined, the pushrod will retract all the way but this will only happen if you push the push rod more than half way in by hand because the input on the side leaks until the pushrod is more than halfway in the bore.
So, is this normal?

Also, for everyone with a VK. When the headlights are on, if you turn the brightness control down for the dash lights, do they turn off when they are turned down all the way.

Thanks heaps

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
To your second question - no, they just go really dim :)

If yours turn off, I'd blame it on a dodgy rheostat.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
VK Centre Air Controls

85berlina said:
Hi guys,
This is probably a question that Scott will be able to answer so lets see how we go.

I am in the middle of totally redoing my A/C.
I have always had this problem where the vacum motor for the center vent only opens half way. I noticed that this motor has two inputs. The one on the end will pull the push rod half way when vacum is applied and the one on the side will leak vacum when vacum is applied unless the pushrod is pushed halfway in. Then it will hold the pushrod at halfway. When these two are combined, the pushrod will retract all the way but this will only happen if you push the push rod more than half way in by hand because the input on the side leaks until the pushrod is more than halfway in the bore.
So, is this normal?

Also, for everyone with a VK. When the headlights are on, if you turn the brightness control down for the dash lights, do they turn off when they are turned down all the way.

Thanks heaps
I think the rod you are talking about is the rod that operates the exterior bonnet cowel vent.Mine came off & I had a severe vacuum leak & a strange hissing noise in the passenger footwell.If it's leaking I'd look at the actuator thingy.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
I am talking about the actual vacum motor with a push rod that sticks out the end. It is the one that controls the center vent.
Does anyone have any idea on how the delay valve thing that is in the middle of the hose going to this vacum motor work at all.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I have been a bit busy to visit the forum lately, I have an aircon how to on my site which gives info on how to connect up the vac lines correctly for the vents to all work.
One tip before connecting it all up, suck on the hose for each vac actuated diaphram and make sure it doesnt leak air, if it dowes it could cause problems for you.

cheers
Scott

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
85berlina said:

Thanks heaps

It's supposed to turn the dash on and off. In my VK, if I turn the lever down, it does nothing! :rofl: Just a dud rheostat.
You can replace them. One day I will and I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Its all good.
It turned out to be the delay valve. I was amazed that Repco stocked them and they were only $10.
Thanks anyway