Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk Vacuum Tree

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Hi guys,

The rear Vacuum tree thing decided to snap off on me and has left the thread end in the manifold, i replaced the front on only a week ago as it did the same thing but had great difficulty cleaning out the thread, and at the rear if you cant get it to unsrew as one piece its gonna be a nightmare. Got any ideas how to get the bloody thing out? i had no luck at all last time and scraped it out.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Can you use an "easy out" / "extractor" on it.

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
does it need to be removed? i.e is it just one of those stupid TVS systems that connects to a water gallery?

(i know zero about 6's)

is it plastic or brass?

The stupid TVS ones are mounted in the head. The ones in the manifold are for providing vacuum. The one at the back provides vacuum for the brake booster. If he doesn't get it out and replace it he'll have a real severe vacuum leak and no brakes to boot.

To the OP, if the plastic is brittle enough maybe you could chip it out with a screwdriver and hammer? Just be careful not to damage the thread.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
If he doesn't get it out and replace it he'll have a real severe vacuum leak and no brakes to boot.

kewl, well if its plastic then a scriber, or a sharp pointy device and a lot of patience will chip the plastic off eventually.

my booster connections have always been brass. even still, get a flat blade screwdriver, put it on the tip of whats left of the thread and tap the end of the screw driver with a hammer so it drives the remains in an anti-clockwise fashion so maybe you can unscrew it?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
yeh, i ended up scraping it out, couldnt get my hands on a tap and i needed my car. got most of it out without going down the manifold but some would have got sucked through and got combusted to nothing, oh well didnt damage anything, all good got the new one in all sweet thanks guys.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Easy outs etc dont work on these, they just cut the plastic.
I got this triangle sharp thing that I tapped into mine with a hammer, and untwisted, the tool has a different purpose but the local bearing shop lent me it to try. worked awesome, will find out what its called and post bak.

Trent-KE30

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 Toyota Corolla KE30
does anybody know what thread it is?

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Pretty sure its a BSP thread, maybe 5/16 but dont quote me on it.