Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Viscous Clutch Fan

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ok, i have been informed that my VK is supposed to have a Viscous clutch fan as it is fitted with AC but it doesn't, i know for fact that it has factory AC as the original owner gave me a few pics of it when it was a day old, (not on computer, and i dont have a scanner) showing the AC in the engine bay. I am hoping somebody else who has a VK with Factory AC and is a 6 carbie like mine could verify this. Also would like to know if you recommend putting one regardless and if you think they improve cooling efficiency.

Thanks

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
hmmm the only advantage over my 6 blader is it has larger and more blades which would move more air.
which would help in traffic, but on the open road the fan doesnt really do anything anyway.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the clutch fan is a bigger diameter fan, so yeah cooling is greatly increased over the smaller fan.
But if your A/C works fine and the engine doesn't overheat, no real advantage in changing it. Except the clutch fan doesn't use as much power when it's not needed

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
My AC works fine but my engine runs hot but not too hot even sometimes without the AC on, i reckon it need a new radiator because its the original and it wanst used much at all untill i got it and i think ive clooged it with crap coming off the block, plus the cooling fins are starting to look a bit how you going.
It was fine when i first got it, drove home on a 40 degree day for 450 ish kms with the gauge keeping just in the normal zone abit under 1/4 but now if i try and drive like that it runs about 3/4 and youve got to remember how optimistic factory gauges are in these old beasts. Anyway my fixed fan seems to do the job for now and with a new radiator it should all be sweet:D