Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk wagon 308 t5 conversation

Snake130

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk wagon 308
Hi there I'm new to this page had a question I wanted to ask

I have a 85 Vk wagon 308 with a mild cam that has a Aussie 4 speed in it at the moment thinking of putting a 5 speed in I've read falcon t5's work well and line up perfect with the original shifter spot? I'm wondering what model falcon gearbox do I need also what needs to be done to make all this work? I know I'll need a bellhousing to adapt it I have checked Castlemaine rod shop can't seem to find a bellhousing to suit? Also what needs to be done to hook the speedo up? Thanks guys

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
The T5 from a VN SS puts the gear lever approx 50-70mm further back compared to the std "Aussie M21" gear lever position. I made up a plate and repositioned the lever forward by that amount & mine is now fine.

fullsizeoutput_3811.jpeg

Depending on if you have a Trimatic or Turbo engine bolt pattern, you will either need a 3rd party bell housing ie Dellows/Castlemaine that will allow the T5 (Tri-matic bolt pattern) to bolt up or if you have a Turbo engine you can use the std Holden VN bell housing.

DSC03220.JPG

My understanding is the T5 from Ford XR8 or Turbo 6 box is a better fit for tunnel & centre console positioning, but you are going to either get the input shaft altered to suit / replaced or find a Ford T5 to Holden bell housing & use a Ford clutch plate?????.

As for speedo, the VN has a standard mechanical speedo drive with an electrical output screwed onto it. Remove the electrical sender & a std mechanical cable can be used T5 to VK (I sourced all the necessary parts from Dellows here in Sydney) I was fortunate enough to be served by Jeff himself, he is a wealth of knowledge. He asked what I was trying to achieve, what components I had & from there returned with a basket of parts which fitted & worked first time (check their website out for bell housing options http://dellowconversions.com.au).

Depending on your tyre size & diff ratio you may/will need to change the drive gear (readily available on eBay). Just go for a drive with a GPS & compare the speedo reading vrs actual make a calculation & work out if you need more or less teeth. There are websites that can help (I found a really good "mustang" website).

Snake130

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk wagon 308
No problem I appreciate all the help thank you! From what I know my engine is a trimatic pattern as mine is using the higher holes on the block, I've found a conversation kit on gumtree with a falcon gearbox with everything for $2,500 with a reco'd box just thinking weather I should go that route

My diff gears are 309 and tyre size is 205 60 15 I've also heard a supra 5 speed works alright then again I wouldn't have a clue what exact box I'd need thanks

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
IMO; The T5 is a lot better option in a std 308 rather than the Toyota 5sp option (202’s & 253’s maybe ok but nothing with more power). $2500 as a kit appears to be good buying. Driveshaft will need modifying (new input yoke) & modify rear x-member.

Good luck.