Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK WAGON. Berlina 308 and all running gear conversion to a VK 6cyl SEDAN

HoldenonVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hi all I am looking at converting a VK SL SEDAN 6cyl manual to V8 with all running gear out of a VK WAGON Berlina 308 auto I have been told everything from front to back wheels on sedan and wagon are same, I’m wondering about fuel tank exhaust rear brakes obviously going from current drum to disc, anyone that has done this with knowledge/help is much appreciated
Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The wagon diff is wider than the sedan diff....So no go there....Not sure how to do the brake swap on them..

The rest is pretty much the same....The 6cyl front brakes are identical to the V8 brakes....The popular thing is to convert to VT style front brakes...

Cross member is identical between the 2

So it's a case of put the 8 straight into the 6cyl body, with the loom (unplugs at the firewall), providing the sedan is not injected, swap the throttle cable, and possible swap the front springs...I say possible front springs, because the cheats way to lower is use 6cyl springs with the 8....It won't be too low either...

Not sure about the fuel tank swap over but

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Highly doubt rear half of tailshaft & fuel tank will swap over..different floorpans & longer.

Technically wagon/ute diff not supposed to swap over but does actually bolt in...will eat lower bush in shock absorbers as bumpstops & shockabsorber brackets are different.

Wagon/ute diffs take shorter shock & lower bush is just a bush for larger stud on wagon diff...sedans have collar inside for bolt...wagon shock is what they sell you for lowered cars with collar pressed in for bolt.

Depends what diff is in project car but probably get away with just using original 6cyl tailshaft & 6cyl diff to get it up & running then for rego work out proper fix.

HoldenonVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Highly doubt rear half of tailshaft & fuel tank will swap over..different floorpans & longer.

Technically wagon/ute diff not supposed to swap over but does actually bolt in...will eat lower bush in shock absorbers as bumpstops & shockabsorber brackets are different.

Wagon/ute diffs take shorter shock & lower bush is just a bush for larger stud on wagon diff...sedans have collar inside for bolt...wagon shock is what they sell you for lowered cars with collar pressed in for bolt.

Depends what diff is in project car but probably get away with just using original 6cyl tailshaft & 6cyl diff to get it up & running then for rego work out proper fix.
Thanks for your reply and help ok I’m thinking use the whole diff housing if this would work as I’m looking at purchasing a complete wagon.
Sound like it might be worth doing after all
Really appreciate your input
Cheers mate

HoldenonVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
The wagon diff is wider than the sedan diff....So no go there....Not sure how to do the brake swap on them..

The rest is pretty much the same....The 6cyl front brakes are identical to the V8 brakes....The popular thing is to convert to VT style front brakes...

Cross member is identical between the 2

So it's a case of put the 8 straight into the 6cyl body, with the loom (unplugs at the firewall), providing the sedan is not injected, swap the throttle cable, and possible swap the front springs...I say possible front springs, because the cheats way to lower is use 6cyl springs with the 8....It won't be too low either...

Not sure about the fuel tank swap over but
Thanks for your reply and help ok I’m thinking use the whole diff housing if this would work as I’m looking at purchasing a complete wagon.
Sound like it might be worth doing after all
Really appreciate your input
Cheers mate

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
All depends on price & condition of driveline...carby black motors are fairly slow & uninspiring but if it's cheap enough without needing rebuild or tonne of money they're an ok conversion to get that v8 rumble.

If you can find vl tailshaft...use rear half to your front half slap in borgwarner diff...if sedan is 85 moden can tell by flat flange.Salisbury take u bolts

I've used 6cyl tailshaft & 6cyl drum diffs on several conversions...some cars still have those diffs in them today whilst others didn't last a week -driveway warranty :D

HoldenonVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK

Ok that’s very helpful appreciate your reply/help I’m looking at the whole complete wagon so I will have a wagon diff to sell
Cheers

HoldenonVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
All depends on price & condition of driveline...carby black motors are fairly slow & uninspiring but if it's cheap enough without needing rebuild or tonne of money they're an ok conversion to get that v8 rumble.

I've used 6cyl tailshaft & 6cyl drum diffs on several conversions...some cars still have those diffs in them today whilst others didn't last a week -driveway warranty :D
Ok that’s some good reassurance appreciate your input and help, yes it’s a stroked 308 mild cam quite new floating pistons ported tho I prefer manual so I’m still thinking about this.
Cheers bro stay slow on the driveway

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Keep it all untill got project car finished...never know what you'll need to scavenge off donor as might want rear brakes. etc if find v8 salisbury for it.

Rare Spares sell handbrake cable for sedans with rear discs...ironically vb-vs had same rear discs only real difference is axle seals

Anyways do your research & should be fine.

HoldenonVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Keep it all untill got project car finished...never know what you'll need to scavenge off donor as might want rear brakes. etc if find v8 salisbury for it.

Rare Spares sell handbrake cable for sedans with rear discs...ironically vb-vs had same rear discs only real difference is axle seals

Anyways do your research & should be fine.
Yes good advice I’ve got rid of parts with regret.
Appreciate your input
Cheers