Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK wont start

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
im having a bit of trouble with my vk...it wont f**king start :bang:
ive replaced the coil, the dizzy, and the carby, and fuel pump.
its definatly getting a spark to all 6 plugs, as ive checked them all. (have had a few nice flames too :whistling)
it has a manual fuel pump...definatly pumping, stock varajet II carby.
btw, this is a black 202.
all cylinders have compression, ranging from 120-130
and the EST light is on when turning it over. as i bought this car when it wasnt running, im not sure if its supposed to be on or not.

ive tried pumping before turning it over, not pumping, pumping while turning over, half throttle, full throttle, no throttle. all of the above with or without start ya bastard, as well as putting some petrol straight down the throat of the carby incase it wasnt getting any fuel.

...no luck :cry:

any ideas?

Last edited:

Amped

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk wags & Vl berlina
have you checked the EST cpu and the crank angle sensor

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
sounds like they have taken the distributor out and put it back wrong if your getting flames out the carbie

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
i checked on another 202 for a reference. we had it running at one stage, but only for about 10 seconds, and it was revving its nuts off. it was spitting fire out the carbie and the exhaust every couple of seconds...and it died pretty quick.
should i rotate the dizzy a tooth clockwise or anticlockwise?

and to Amped or anyone that knows:
how would i go about checking the cas or the est 'computer' (if you can call it that...POS)

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
take the distributor out set the no 1 piston to top dead center put the distributor back in and rotor button pointing to no 1 plug and give it a go the worst case itll be a bent valve

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
Sounds like uve got ur timing wrong. My car did the same thing, just kept turning over with nothing. What i did was take out the spark plug on no.1 cylinder, using a spare pushrod (or something that isnt sharp and long enough to reach the cylinder through the sparky hole) i rotated the engine until it was at its highest and a little further (a tiny amount so the sparks energy is sending it downwards, not into itself) and set the rotor button to cylinder 1. If this didnt work i rotated the cap 180 deg and tried again, BAM it started and that was the end of it. I was trying to get the timing right at the crank but got no where, literally had to get there and make sure the cylinder was in the right spot.

If that doesnt work mate i have NO IDEA! Sounds like ur getting fuel thats for sure and when it started that one time the timing was prolly so far advanced but just withing working timing that it just took off, the fuel pump was prolly dumping fuel into the engine giving off a few flames lol!

Keep us noted as to how she goes

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
Thanks leigh 7005 and Paiste402,
yea, ill give it a go tomorrow arvo. i just wanna get it going...im so eager to get to work on it.

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
she runs :thumbsup:

turns out the timing was about a 6th of a rotation out.
at the moment, its idling kinda rough...but idling non the less. and as soon as i open up the throttle to get the second half of the carby working, it starts to die a bit, so that side may need a tune, or just needs a decent clean up and a workout.

anyway, now that the beast runs..i can get it in and out of the workshop easily, and finally get to work on fixing it up. :wax:

Last edited:

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
hahah whadda i tell ya! get a timing gun on her and get the timing right, u will find that she will run like gravy on a steak. Ive had my 308 run like balls cause the timing was too advanced and there was a vac leak. It was undriveable, got the timing right and a .20 cent hose and i did a burnout on my way to work.

A nice carb clean would be in order as well as new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor button if u havent already. But the timing is the thing u really gotta get right before u can go further. I think its around 10 deg advanced is where it will run nice (correct me if wrong).

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
yea, looked over the entire intake and found a couple of leaking vac hoses, and some hoses that had been plugged with bolts. i removed the bolts and hooked up the hoses to things like the choke, and the vac advance...which had somehow been 'misplaced'

she definitely needs a full service. but before that the front main seal needs to be replaced...it literally DRIPS!

Last edited: