Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL 1988 Sedan Breaking down :(

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Back in early Feb, I replaced the Crank Angle sensor and Power transistor module.

She was running beaut but over the last couple of days has developed a problem :cry:

She starts ok and runs like a champion until reaching operating temperature.
Then she coughs, shakes, growns until she sounds like she's running on one cylinder.

If I pullover she stops.

If I let her cool down for 2 hours, she starts up a well, only to break down again once reaching operating temperature.

Does anyone have an idea what I need to fix :unsure:

Regards Holdfast

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Also, my VL is a 6 cylinder with about 330,000 km.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I forgot to mention that its a 6 cylinder SL :whistling

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
a few simple things you can try ...
sometimes if a module dies its time to replace the starter coil, leads spark plugs. a stuffed module can damage these.
check your air filter and induction, as the problem seems to come with a temp rise it could have something to do with a blocked filter, incorrect plug gaps etc.
also since you did the sensor something may have become loose since then, have teh timing checked, this cn also alter at op temp.
just a couple of things you can try yourself anyway, by no means the answer...
-j

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Thanks for your comments vlv8vic :)

I've checked all the wiring as best I could, wiggled all of the major connections and checked the air filter, all are ok.

Mmm, interesting how it just breaks down once it reached operating temperature??

Over the last few weeks, I've also managed to leave the lights on and flatten the battery twice. On one occassion I clutch started it, I wonder if this may have caused a problem.

On the second occassion the car was super flat, absolutely lifeless, the NRMA jump started it and the bloke said it was charging ok.

Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions, I'm embarrassed enough jsut telling you how silly I have been by flattening the battery. :hit:

I just can't understand how it runs beautifully when I start it up and then 15 -20 minutes later it coughs and splutters and finally dies. :unsure:

C

calaiscairns

look straight at the low preasure fuel pump, its actually inside the tank. I had one go on me and it was spluttering like a pig. The external pump, gets the car started, and the one inside the tank keeps it running. hope this helps

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Have you put a Timing light on it, just hook it onto the leads one at a time and watch the ignition pulse. If theres power going through there you know its not spark. And would have to be fuel, vice versa.

Coil usually plays up when it gets hot. Fuel pump... that doesn't explain why it only does it at operating temperature.

Have you got an earth thats getting hot and loosing its connection to the block?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
heat on teh coil is a fair place to start, like i said mine seemed fine but was pretty wrecked, couldnt tell anyway other than replacing it, and it went around teh same time as the module.
where is the coil mounted on the 6? on the 8 they are on top of the engine-nice one holden- where it collects all teh heat and dies quickly!
timing light is handy, though you can still get a false reading from a stuffed coil, tho as bex said good for leads etc. let us know how its goes hey

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Thankyou also bextor 84

I've never used a timing light on the car. Could you please explain, what I should do to check. Sometime ago when I pulled off the waterpump, I put on a new timing belt, and made sure everything was top dead centre???

I lined up the crank shaft pulley ith the top dead centre mark and made sure the cam was top centre and the distributor was pointing to number one.

What should I have done with the timing light??

I'm pretty sure the coil and alternator have never been replaced, so I'll check that as well:)

Regards Holdfast

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Coils only 50 bucks. could even get a second hand one for a temporary, see if they will let you hold onto yours while you try theres, if it doesn't fix the problem swap back.

Coils mounted at the very front of the engine on the 6. A little to the left when you look at it from the front.

Checking for spark with the timing light, should just be a matter of putting the lead on the battery, and then the clip over the spark plug lead, then point the strobe at the bonnet or somewhere that you can see the light.

It should be a regular flash. If it pauses, or skips beats. Theres your problem.