Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL 1988 Sedan Breaking down :(

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Thanks for the info, you have both been very helpful. I'll get stuck into things this morning and I'll keep you posted as to what happens:)

Best wishes from Holdfast :D

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Check the ECU for fault codes, you might suprise yourself.

Other than that, It sounds like it could be an injector problem, either that or AFM. I had a similar problem but not quite so pronounced, which was a dodgey injector that would not run when it became hot.

It's almost certainly an electrical issue anyway, as we all know resistance increases with heat. Sorry im not much help when im away from base!

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I've checked the ECU and it refers to the Crank Angle sensor.

It's not the coil, Power transistor or High tension lead between the two, as I've replaced these with new parts. (I hope)

I'm pulling out the Crank Angle sensor to replace it with one that I know works.

By the way, my timing sticker in the engine bay is unreadable, can some one tell me what the VECI label should read.

I'm not sure, na, I don't know :( how many degrees of advance the timing should be.

Are those cheap timing lights for 20 bucks ok for my VL or should I buy something better? :whistling

Thanks for your help so far I'm learning heaps :wave:

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I just found this on timing :D

It's an old post.

hey my car just went in and got a new water pump and belts which cost me a fair bit considering i am at school and have a part time job..does anyone know how to fix the timing????

do a search...u can use a timing light but i like to set mine to ear.

basically u let the car reach normal opp temp.
get a ring spanner or socket 12mm i think it is.
undo the bolt on the distributor (its bolted to the side on the head)
turn it with ur hand either towards the front of the car for retardedness or to the back of the car for advancement.
the factory timing should be at 15deg btdc @ 750rpm + or - 50 rpm
to determin this make sure u use a timing light.
while ur doing this make sure its in Park :D and give it a few good revs while ur still trying to find the optimum smoothness of the engine without any misses.
once ur happy with the way it sounds and the revs drop back down the tacho should read roughly 750rpm
tighten the bolt on the dizzy back up.
if this is still unacheivable turn the little screw on the back of the plenum. this is called the IAC valve and adjusts ur idle. turn it left to increase idle speed and right to lower the idle.
once set take it for a spin around the block. ;)

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
What to do now?

:confused:

I just replaced the Crank Angle sensor and fired up the VL.

She ran perfectly, smooth as a whistle for about 3 minutes and then cut out.

Now I'm really worried :confused:

Please help :wave:

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Fixed

Looks like the problem was the Crank Angle Sensor!

When I replaced the sensor with a spare that I new worked, she fired up straight away but cut out after about 3 minutes. No coughing or spluttering just stopped.

So, I erased the memory on the ECU and she strated up instantly. I tokk her for a run and she's going like a rocket. Several times I pulled over, shut her off and had no problems starting again.

Then I let her cool down for about 3 hours and took her for a pretty quick spin; again no problems, so it looks like she is fixed.

So, what did I end up doing from start to finish with your help?

Took down the codes on the ECU.
Erased the memory on the ECU.
Bought a new coil (not needed)
Bought a new Power Transistor (not needed)
Bought a new high tension lead, replaced the old.
Bought new spark plugs (not needed)
Lined up Top Dead Centre.
Removed the Distributor.
Removed the Crank Angle Sensor.
Cleaned the 360 degree disc.
Reassembled the Distributor and Crank Angle Sensor.
Checked all the connections were tight and serviceable.
Started the car, plenty of dark smoke, but not thick, ok initially but then cut out.
Checked the fault codes on the ECU.
Erased the ECU memory
Started the car, first go and no problems since.
Now she is running lovely.

I'm still not sure why she's fixed but I happy :D
As for the spare part! Who cares, I've saved heaps by not going to a mechanic :D I'll keep the components as spares and if I don't use them my Mate has a VL also :yeah:

Thanks, again for all your help :drink:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
nice work. hold onto the coil and that, stick it in teh glovy or something never know when you might need that!
glad to hear its all well anyway.
just back to the timing lights, for interests sake a cheapo will do as good job as teh expensive ones, just might not last as long. i got a cheapy and would use it maybe twice a year - itll las tme forever, where as a mechanic would put in the $$ for a decent one cos they woul duse it flat out.

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
i have had the same problem recently.....one day i started her up n i could only drive at no more than 20kmph or it would cough splatter and die....i got the crank angle sensor replaced the next day, she went fine for about 20 minutes then died on me again........so it got towed back to the mechanics and they said the crank angle sensor must of been faulty so they replaced it and the next day she was goin nice n smoth then 10minutes later it started muckin up again and died on me........had to get it towed once again back 2 the mechanics and replace yet again another faulty crank angle sensor.....n ever since then has been fiine...alot of f***ing around tho! lol

only had to pay for the car to b fixed the first time..all other repairs and tows were paid for by the mechanic.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Update

Just wanted to let you know that my VL is still running ok but she cut out the other day.

Apparently the connections on the altinator were a bit loose, the NRMA bloke jambed a rubber wedge between the terminals and now the battery is charging and my commodore has been running beaut.

I wonder if this could have caused some of my previous problems?

Anyway, just thought I would say goodaye and thanks for the help last month:)

Regards Holdfast :D

Heavysack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore
Update

Just wanted to let you know that my VL is still running ok but she cut out the other day.

Apparently the connections on the altinator were a bit loose, the NRMA bloke jambed a rubber wedge between the terminals and now the battery is charging and my commodore has been running beaut.

I wonder if this could have caused some of my previous problems?

Anyway, just thought I would say goodaye and thanks for the help last month:)

Regards Holdfast :D

Hey Mate.

Did you end up getting to the bottom of this? I've pretty much done everything you have done.

I've figured out it's stopping because of too much fuel. I would love to know how you fixed it.

Cheers