Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL 355 with top loader NEED SOME ADVICE!

Jim355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl DMP
Hi guys I’m just about to start building my VL
It’s a factory dealer marketing pack factory v8 Trimatic

that is about to get pulled out and going vt roller motor stroker to 355 behind a top loader.
Has anyone put a toploader in a vl can’t seem to find any post on this.

please can I get some help on this set up.
do I need to do any cutting or bashing on the tunnel.
What do I need to do for my pedal box?
what about crossmember?
any help would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not seen toploader put in commodore probably 10 years..better options available now.

Trip to Dellow conversions is in order for pedal box,crossmember etc

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Why toploader ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Top loaders are the second most strongest box after the Chrysler box. It is just physics, when you have a heavy lump of cast iron it's going to have less flex than a alloy cased box.

Pedal box is not complicated just find a conversion box.
Cross member is just some RHS and angle bracket and some welding wire.
The hard part will be the clutch and bellhousing. You'll likely be able to buy that out of CRS.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Top loaders are the second most strongest box after the Chrysler box. It is just physics, when you have a heavy lump of cast iron it's going to have less flex than a alloy cased box.

What are you smoking? A top loader is a crud load better than a Chrysler box and this is coming from someone that is a Chrysler lover....

Chrysler boys do try and fit the A833 behind the 6's and 8's but mainly due to them being a 5 speed but are careful with them...The borige 4 speeds are alright behind the 6's...Behind the 8's they have to be cautious....Put one behind a stroker, be prepared to keep pulling it out and repairing/replacing

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What are you smoking? A top loader is a crud load better than a Chrysler box and this is coming from someone that is a Chrysler lover....

Ooooookay.......
This is why in NASCAR back in the 80's the chrysler 4 speed was preferred and you can still buy them aftermarket from the USA with a 800hp rating
Face palms time 1 million.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ooooookay.......
This is why in NASCAR back in the 80's the chrysler 4 speed was preferred and you can still buy them aftermarket from the USA with a 800hp rating
Face palms time 1 million.

Yep, facepalm your self that many times.....Start living in the real world and not the fantasy world of youtube....

Read my post what the Chrysler boys use in the real world, which I just added in....And this is actual real world happenings, not your fantasy youtube world occurrances

You see the main thing you forget constantly is, racing they constantly teardown the mechanicals, replacing parts so they don't break....This is done after every meet....Sponsors don't pay to see their cars sitting in the trailer broken....This is why it is done after every meet.

The real world, people don't teardown their mechanicals every week.....We do the fluid changes at particular intervals and that is it....If something breaks, then the repair/replacement is done.....And I'm sure people on here don't want to be replacing stuff every month, just because it was used in a Nascar environment, where they don't row the gears too much during a race

Last edited:

Jim355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl DMP
I’m old school and I love belting 3rds in a top loader no need for this new age stuff can’t beat old skool.

who Eva has done this in a vl please let me know.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Face palm

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

haha... no
just ask Dick Johnson.

he tried running ALLOY case TopLoaders in his XD/XE race cars
and he kept splitting the case.. so no, not all Toploaders are equal.