Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL 5.0 carburettor and cleaner setup

Ronzohsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Berlina 5.0 (1987)
Hey guys,

Just on this, Ive decided I want to run a round assembly air filter/cleaner direct to the carby without silencer for now.
Wanting it to also have a polished top plate Cover as seen attached in image too So i can throw some Holden decals on it. Problem is K&N site doesn't show an assembly for the VL.

Hope someone can direct me for the right K&N model to suit the VL 304 carby motor.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/universal/round-air-filter/

Happy to also view other brands.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Check with your mechanic or transport dept. first as an aftermarket airfilter assy might give problems when going for roadworthy checks.

Ronzohsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check with your mechanic or transport dept. first as an aftermarket airfilter assy might give problems when going for roadworthy checks.
Not a road car. Anyone with a part # please

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Not a road car. Anyone with a part # please
All good then.
Can you measure your carby diameter and the overall height you have available ?

Ronzohsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate, yes Can measure at some point during the week of course. Atm it's just using the factory Rochester Quadra Carby... If that helps

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The polished top cover can be a DIY job, after you have the correct air filter housing with a correct fitting bottom plate..
Cut the sides off the top cover, leaving enough to carefully fold over the sharp edges, and then polish the metal.
Worked for me on my 186, 202 and 253, I used the same top cover / lid on all of them.

But ..... you will be sucking hot air from around the engine, which was not a problem for HK, LH, HQ and HJ, but could be in a Commodore due to restricted space.
As you state it is not a registered road car, no emissions to comply with, so whatever works..