Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl 6 cyl. wont kick over

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Clubsport R8 317/ VT Commodore exec 5 SPD
hi guys, my mates got a vl 6 cyl wagon and it was running beautifully b4 i threw degreaser on the engine then hosed it off with water. she kicked over after the engine wash but was very sluggish under load i.e in drive, i drove it up the street then it backfired massively and died on me. i ended up getting it running again for about half an hour but now she wont even kick over. can anyone tell me wats happend??

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
take dizzy cap of and spray with wd40 same with coil lead etc.

next time you wash the engine put a plastic bag over the dizzy

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
so u think its just a bit of water seepage thorugh the cap and into the leads? thanks ill give it a go, i hope she fires.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yeah dry it out i can def bet my money that its that

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
As we as a bad seal on the dizzy as they get brittle and leak onto the CAS(Crank Angle Sensor).. and cause mayhem...
Once dried out all good man
As bow said Put bag over Dizzy next time and try not the Jet water in that area.

Another good thing now would be to go over all plugs and spray INOX/WD40 in all plugs

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the dizzy cap is supposed to have a gasket which is usually missing and seems to be no longer available, also dry out electrical plug on top of dizzy and check coil connections
Ive had too many electrical problems from this method of engine cleaning and no longer do it

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
k so cracked open the dizzy cap and a fair bit of water was in there that still dripped out, dryed it, sprayed it out wif wd40 including most connections and coil leads, tried kickin it over on 1 banked side of the road and it didnt fire so we pushed it on to the opposite banked side of the road facing on coming traffic (i did this so all the fuel in the tank would lean to 1 side causing enough pressure to be pushed through to the engine), left it for a bit and after a couple more tries it finally fired. it ran beauitfully again. we took it for a drive around the block and it was all good. now as soon as we got back we parked it in its original postion and within a minute of idling, it started to hesitate and vibrate and then it died. we couldnt get it started again. im guessing this aint water causing the problem now. perhaps the fuel pumps? seeing it only fires on 1 side of the rd and not the other?

VT101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE EXECUTIVE
Should of let it dry for an hour or 2. I say the water is causing multiple components to short out.

Hope this helps/helped

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
hmm should not really matter what side it is leaning if u have enough fuel . I would say moisture, i know if water gets inside the CAS it can be a major problem...

Could also be your inertia pump(Intank Pump) is starting to fail.