Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL '86 Berlina --[First Car]

HoldenFan09

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
G'day fellas

Im new to this forum and I am looking to pick up my first car this friday :D I've been on my P's for 2 months and dad found a nice looking 86 VL berlina for sale through a website that his work develops. We had a drive of the car and sussed it out it seemed great.

There are a few things im concerned about though. This car I looked at has rear drum brakes, but dont berlina's have rear disc brakes? or is the only the 87 model and onwards? Also things like cruise control and power windows. Having power windows isnt such a big deal to me but dont berlinas come with cruise and power windows as standard or are they optionals?

The odometer stopped on about 173,000kms but the seller seemed confident that it was on about 190,000kms. (so i'd have to assume its on about 220-230 thou.) As the odo has ceased functioning would there be a way to get it working again? i'd understand if i need to pull out the dash to fix this so im all cool with doing that..

Lastly We have an '87 VL berlina wagon thats sitting out in our backyard and I am wondering whether I could pull the disc brakes off that and install them onto the sedan? can I just do a straight swap or would it include pulling the differential off? any clues on how to do that would be much appreciated...

Outlook.jpg

P.S sorry if there are already posts on some of the questions asked but I need to ask them all as one.

Thanks Matt :)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
power windows and cruise is optinal on berlinas

disc brake rear was only standerd on turbo and v8s (any model) and on all calais

the odd and trip is common, stops some times and jumps 1000's on ks at times
its a little gear which strips over time in the odometer, can replace it for 11 bucks or swap it with one that works

wagon brakes on berlina- cant swap the diff over as the mounts are diff but you can remover the brakes, backing plates, axles, handbrake cable etc and put them on your diff
you must use the disc brake axles too as they have bigger seals on them too seal the diff behind the disc

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
looks nice and clean for your first car mate.

HoldenFan09

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah I'm really happy about it its costing me $1500 with 3 spares tyres and rims with plenty of tread and rego for the next 2 months

engine is a bit tired but I'm not fussed about that other than that the body and paint are all in almost mint condition :D

When I pick her up I'll take some photos and post em up in the VL section ;)

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
well you can't complain about that ($1500)
do yourself a favour and swap over those rear drums for discs nice and quick, and buy a spare AFM, when the time comes you'll know why...

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
well you can't complain about that ($1500)
do yourself a favour and swap over those rear drums for discs nice and quick, and buy a spare AFM, when the time comes you'll know why...

and a Crank angle Sensor(CAS) as a spare :p
many threads in here are about those causing problems

HoldenFan09

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Seller just pulled out of sale. Quite disappointed.

(CODEZ)

formerly cody_vp92
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
spewin mate, good luck finding another :)