Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Aircon/Heater Issue

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Firstly, I'd like to start off by saying I know simliar questions have been answered before I DID try to search but nothing relevant to my problem. My Vents do work, and do blow out air, but in the wrong places and I can only get face and feet to work (which is fking annoying because I only need demist for rwc). I had issues before where they didn't work at all, I followed a thread on CT which showed me which of my hoses go where as my numbers had fallen off, now I beleive everything is on correctly, but the system is not operating correctly.

Here is what it is doing:
When Feet is selected - Air blows from Feet vent
When Demister is selected - Air blows from Feet vent (with a slightly hiss noticable from behind the dash)
When Face is selected - Air blows from Feet vent
When Hot/Cold is selected - Air blows from Feet vent

When half way between hot/cold and re-circulation - Air blows from Face vent.

What the hell is going on? this is driving me crazy lol. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
sounds like the selector is damaged, working in some positions and not others, have seen quite a few that are broken in this way, with the unit removed from the dash, select different position and watch the rotary selector in the back, is it parting/splitting? it's 2 pieces of plastic with a rubber layer in the middle.
it's either that or possibly split hoses or you mixed the hoses up when trying to sort them out.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
As JXW said plus, on the selector where the hoses attach there is a screw in the middle with a serrated/spring type washer and if that screw is not tight enough then you will lose vacuum through the selector.
DO NOT overtighten it, just make sure it is firm enough so as to not allow vacuum to escape but still be able to move the selector easily.
It is easy to test while out of the dash and still connected to all hoses, just disconnect the cable to allow the mechanism to come out of the dash then run the car whilst selecting the different positions.
If any hoses are coming off the selector,a very small dab of superglue is the trick to keeping them on.

derjizm

www.F2thaK.com
Reaction score
Website
www.F2thaK.com
Members Ride
'86 VL Berlina RB30E
Instead of opening new thread, Ill revive this one.

A few Q's if anyone can oblige.

- About a month ago I got my AC fixed and regassed, it has already run out of gas (seemingly) I read somewhere theres seals that you should replace. Where abouts are they? Read that id seals arent replaced gas will leak out within a month.
- with the fan on the very front of the car (in front of radiator), when is this meant to work? I read somewhere it should come on when AC is on, not just the fan. also read somewhere if this fan doesnt work your gas will leak out??

HELP, its getting flippin hot and I was just getting used to having ice cold AC!!!

THANKS

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
There are quite a few seals on an air con system. There will be an o ring on the end of every pipe and there is a seal on the shaft of the compressor behind the pulley that can leak. You will notice oil around any seal that is leaking because your compressor needs oil in it to lubricate it.
The fan should work when the air con compressor builds up pressure. The medium pressure switch on the receiver dryer will turn the fan on when the pressure is high enough. If the fan is not turning on, it could be from not having enough gas in the system, a faulty medium pressure switch or relay or the fan motor could be burnt out.
There are testers that refrigeration mechanics use to find refrigerant leaks, which can detect gas fumes that leak out.