Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl airflow meter probs..help me please

kezza_4246

Holden Drifter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS 3.8i V6
i hope somebody is out there that can help me, I just bought my vl bout a week ago and someone has screwed with the airflow meter but my car is hardly moving so im guessing i may need a new one so theres 2 questions:-

1. Can I Bypass the airflow somehow so that it runs just as good?
......OR......
2. How much will i likely end up paying for a second hand one?

p.s. thx for your help it will be greatly appriciated

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
how do you know its the airflow meter thats the problem? if the car is barely moving it could be the CAT is stuffed.

kezza_4246

Holden Drifter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS 3.8i V6
i have just recently found out that the airflow meter isnt the problem so im looking for answers to find out the problem.....so far i have been told it could be dirty air filter, fuel pump, sparkies and leads and also as mentioned in above post the cat been stuffed. so here is the equation. yesterday she was running fine slowly but surely getting worse and worse now the cars stuck in the garage i have no idea whats wrong and sweet talking the angel wont make her move so any suggestions will help and if possible please include a way to rectify the problem. thank you very much

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
erm I doubt you mean 'CAT' I think your refering to 'CAS'

D.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
yeh crank angle sensor. When my CAS died. at first the car would run and just stall while goin but when it finally gave up the car just wouldnt fire up.

kezza_4246

Holden Drifter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS 3.8i V6
so how much would my cas set me back? and can i do the work myself?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
check for spark. if there is no spark at all from the coil lead THEN it will be either the CAS or the coil. If you have spark then it will probably be the CAT (catalytic convertor). When the CAT is stuffed the mesh in side deteriorates and blocks the exhaust allowing the car to only go 20km/hr if you're lucky, even not go at all. The CAS is easy enough to do yourself and is about $70. There are a couple of kits available. Just the CAS or a kit with the dizzy bearing and electrical plug. Best to get the plug too, you can get it separately. To see if the bearing needs changing take the dizzy cap off and see if there is orange powder inside the dizzy. The powder is from the bearing being stuffed and kills the CAS.

kezza_4246

Holden Drifter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS 3.8i V6
bangers said:
check for spark. if there is no spark at all from the coil lead THEN it will be either the CAS or the coil. If you have spark then it will probably be the CAT (catalytic convertor). When the CAT is stuffed the mesh in side deteriorates and blocks the exhaust allowing the car to only go 20km/hr if you're lucky, even not go at all. The CAS is easy enough to do yourself and is about $70. There are a couple of kits available. Just the CAS or a kit with the dizzy bearing and electrical plug. Best to get the plug too, you can get it separately. To see if the bearing needs changing take the dizzy cap off and see if there is orange powder inside the dizzy. The powder is from the bearing being stuffed and kills the CAS.

thanx i will check that asap

kezza_4246

Holden Drifter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS 3.8i V6
still having the same prob guys, checked the dizzy and no powder at all seems to be fine, took exaugst off from just under the passanger door and no difference in the problem and the coil i dont even know where that is but as ive come to realise the problem more it seems to idle fine but whether ur in park neutral or a gear as soon as u touch the accelerator the car coughs and splutters and nearly stalls. How do u know if fuel pump is screwed? could it be fuel related and it seems that when u touch accelerator and keep it down a bit it sounds like its backfiring in the engine please help now im desperate and got the mc shits

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
have you checked timing ect