Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl battery or alternator issue?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
hey guys,

i went to start my berlina turbo to move it out of the way but when i turned the key to the ignition, i could hear the fuel pump but when it primed was really weak then the car wouldnt start.
I got my other car and hooked up the jumper cables and it started like normal but when i removed one jumper cable the vl stopped.

my volt gauge is not reading anything, just sits on 8 volts so thats telling me my battery is drained so could my battery be stuffed or my alternator or both? as im not sure why the vl stopped once i disconnected one jumper cable

thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Best to jump the car and get it running and whilst it's running, use a multimetre on the alternator to see if it is putting out around 14 volts.

It is quite possible both battery and alternator are gone, but by starting at the alternator voltage, it will give you a starting point to work from.

Personally I think the alternator is the problem, considering it stops once the jumper lead is disconnected, by worth checking with a multimetre first

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
how will i be able to test it from the alternator? straight from the back of the alternator?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
how will i be able to test it from the alternator? straight from the back of the alternator?

You can just test it at the Battery [on the Battery Posts], it should be 13.8 > 14.4 volts when idling to giving it a rev.
If you turn the headlights on it should drop to say roughly 14.2 volts

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I got my other car and hooked up the jumper cables and it started like normal but when i removed one jumper cable the vl stopped.

Should still test your battery still but this is a pretty good indicator it's the alternator.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Yep...Should be the nut on the back of the alternator.

Personally I wouldn't test the alternator at the battery, if you have jumper leads connected.....Good chance you'll get a false reading, as the voltage from the secondary battery will be coming through the jumper leads.....

Once you have a good battery installed in the car, by all means test the voltage at the battery. However make sure you have 14 volts at the alternator before checking the battery voltage......If you don't have the 14 volts at the alternator, you won't get that at the battery

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
i went ahead and bought a new battery today a optima red top 34 and the car started so much easier.

I tested it at the battery and was only getting approx 11.5 volts and my volt gauge in the car was reading about the same as well so time to buy a new alternator it appears

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
i went ahead and bought a new battery today a optima red top 34 and the car started so much easier.

I tested it at the battery and was only getting approx 11.5 volts and my volt gauge in the car was reading about the same as well so time to buy a new alternator it appears

Sure is