Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Berlina Sought After?

Wog087

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hi, have a 1987 VL Berlina that’s in decent condition, does need to have the motor fixed up and paint, little rust repair, all the usual.

Would it be worthy doing a resto/clean up, and putting in the cash to get it resprayed, get the motor fixed up etc? Are Berlinas actually sought after and worth a bit? I’ve always seen people modifying SLs and always thought SLs and Calais are the two everyone wants? Would having a nice Berlina be worthy of my money?

It needs to get the head redone as it has a stuck valve and blown head gasket (any pointers to how much that’ll run me is appreciated)
Also needs to have the boot floor fixed up with rust, has slight bubbling on the roof next to the left back passenger window, and has some cracking behind the back glass, not sure if it’s under the window though. Other than that, it’s a complete car, interior is is great shape.

Any advice would be amazing.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not really.

Only worth what someone is willing to pay...you could blow 20k easy on something like that & might only get 20k back for it after waitingyear or two for it to sell which could be how long it takes to fix/rebuild.

Most car nuts would look at that as a rebuild & probably turn it into drag challenge or burnout car if bought cheap enough.

Most that restore stiockers like that would be for sentimental reasons if they had some history with particular car.

Wog087

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hi, have a 1987 VL Berlina that’s in decent condition, does need to have the motor fixed up and paint, little rust repair, all the usual.

Would it be worthy doing a resto/clean up, and putting in the cash to get it resprayed, get the motor fixed up etc? Are Berlinas actually sought after and worth a bit? I’ve always seen people modifying SLs and always thought SLs and Calais are the two everyone wants? Would having a nice Berlina be worthy of my money?

It needs to get the head redone as it has a stuck valve and blown head gasket (any pointers to how much that’ll run me is appreciated)
Also needs to have the boot floor fixed up with rust, has slight bubbling on the roof next to the left back passenger window, and has some cracking behind the back glass, not sure if it’s under the window though. Other than that, it’s a complete car, interior is is great shape.

Any advice would be amazing.
Ah yeah. Well I mean it does have sentimental value to me as it was owned by my grandpa. I don’t really want to fix t up to sell it, more just for myself. Just sort of wondering if it’s worth even fixing it for myself, as I do want to do up the motor later down the track.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I had a 87 Berlina Wagon and that model was a great car,
The Motor in them [which I called the hissan Nissan, as they never made much noise when revved] was a very effiecent motor,
the only fault with them was they needed head gaskets done at approx 140,000 k/s, in the VL's
Not as common in the Nissan Vehicles.
But in the Commodores, was because the Top of the Radiator was lower than the top of the head,
so it had an issue of getting air pockets in the head, hence the reason they over heated and cracked by 140,000 k's.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My thoughts, if it is not for a resale to cash in the current ridiculous prices, but a personal 'heritage' car, and the body is rust free (sort of)........ restore it.
Be aware that a little bit of rust can grow to a lot of rust when doing a respray. (Just speaking from personal experience.)

Wog087

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
I had a 87 Berlina Wagon and that model was a great car,
The Motor in them [which I called the hissan Nissan, as they never made much noise when revved] was a very effiecent motor,
the only fault with them was they needed head gaskets done at approx 140,000 k/s, in the VL's
Not as common in the Nissan Vehicles.
But in the Commodores, was because the Top of the Radiator was lower than the top of the head,
so it had an issue of getting air pockets in the head, hence the reason they over heated and cracked by 140,000 k's.
Do you think it would have a crack if the head gasket is gone? The car was thrashed when it got stolen to probably got really got and maybe cracked it too? How much do you think it would run me to get the head fixed up.

Wog087

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
My thoughts, if it is not for a resale to cash in the current ridiculous prices, but a personal 'heritage' car, and the body is rust free (sort of)........ restore it.
Be aware that a little bit of rust can grow to a lot of rust when doing a respray. (Just speaking from personal experience.)
Yeah from what I can see it really isn't that bad, the whole boot floor will probably need to be replaced with a rare spares panel, the rest of the car doesn't look too bad at all with rust.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Do you think it would have a crack if the head gasket is gone? The car was thrashed when it got stolen to probably got really got and maybe cracked it too? How much do you think it would run me to get the head fixed up.

The only way to tell is to road test it and see if the Temp gets to high,
You will know, because they do boil with a knacked head gasket and/or cracked head.
Possible check the Spark Plugs first, as that is the best telltale signs,
If 1 or more out of the 6 is a different colour, then there could be a issue,
keeping in mind, they both run very efficent for a straight 6 in the mid 80's, the stock RB30 and Turbo versions.
Check this link out -
https://www.carsguide.com.au/advent...-guide-to-the-petrol-six-cylinder-motor-81189

eg: a Number of years ago, I filled up at Narre Warren,
drove to Lakes Entrace, and stayed the night, and drove around having a look around,
then headed off to Merimbul in the morning, and arrived there on the same tank. 3 ppl in the car and the back of the wagon was full of gear.
Thats pretty good for a straight 6, also being injected.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ah yeah. Well I mean it does have sentimental value to me as it was owned by my grandpa. I don’t really want to fix t up to sell it, more just for myself. Just sort of wondering if it’s worth even fixing it for myself, as I do want to do up the motor later down the track.

Unfortunately only you can answer this question....No one else can...

Wog087

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
The only way to tell is to road test it and see if the Temp gets to high,
You will know, because they do boil with a knacked head gasket and/or cracked head.
Possible check the Spark Plugs first, as that is the best telltale signs,
If 1 or more out of the 6 is a different colour, then there could be a issue,
keeping in mind, they both run very efficent for a straight 6 in the mid 80's, the stock RB30 and Turbo versions.
Check this link out -
https://www.carsguide.com.au/advent...-guide-to-the-petrol-six-cylinder-motor-81189

eg: a Number of years ago, I filled up at Narre Warren,
drove to Lakes Entrace, and stayed the night, and drove around having a look around,
then headed off to Merimbul in the morning, and arrived there on the same tank. 3 ppl in the car and the back of the wagon was full of gear.
Thats pretty good for a straight 6, also being injected.
Oh yeah that's awesome. Well I know it definitely has one or the other, just not sure which lmao.