Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL brake upgrade to VT

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
vb - vs used the same size pads hsv did offer a bigger brakes on the vs 328mm not sure about the vr i know what your saying losh fitting vt master and still using single piston calipers
i have read on here or other forums that the pedal is hard as a rock
better of fitting brake first of both at the same time

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question to the OP do you have a drum rear end or disc?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
vb - vs used the same size pads hsv did offer a bigger brakes on the vs 328mm not sure about the vr i know what your saying losh fitting vt master and still using single piston calipers
i have read on here or other forums that the pedal is hard as a rock
better of fitting brake first of both at the same time

Yeah logically fitting the later calipers and rotors on the stock MC like VC Commodore did shouldn't matter all that much. In theory they would be a tad spongy but they should work just fine. But yeah going the other way and fitting the MC alone doesn't make sense from my understanding on how stopping power can not be made worse??

BTW I am not saying that I can't be wrong but it just doesn't make sense unless the booster somehow changes the physics and compensates for the larger MC. But even that seems pointless because why compensate by reducing one lot of pressure only to increase it in another way.

Last edited:

Eat_the_poo_poo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Thanks for the input guys. Sorry i didn't give enough details to begin with.
I have a 6cyl and i have discs all round.
From what losh1971 is saying i take it that by increasing my MC bore size i have decreased the pressure to the pads. (makes sense) by adding twin piston calipers this will be more effective. its very deceiving though as the car definitely feels like it pulls up better and the pedal is firmer.

I think i will most definitely be going twin piston VT calipers with the brake safe conversion lines, rotors, hubs, pads etc...

I am a bit weary about doing the wheel bearings because the kit i am looking at doesn't come with wheel bearings in the hubs.
Will see how we go.

Thanks guys

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
why would Holden put the larger bore master cylinder on their 308 and 5 litre from the factory, if it reduces braking efficiency?
They had a large steel twin diaphragm booster to go with it to reduce pedal effort. VR was the last model with this - VS is the same v6 to v8 with the plastic booster.

Vt has a stepped 1 1/4 master.

You mess with the hydraulic ratio too much and you'll need to put too much effort into the pedal. I had the VT master AND BOOSTER with the factory calipers on my vs for a little while. Braking performance was about the same but pedal was much firmer and required more pedal effort. With the stock booster, the pedal effort required to match the stock brake performance would have been incredible.

Do it once, do it right. Full VT brake setup including calipers, rotors, booster and master. Don't need to worry about the rears - they do just fine stock.

If you're not going to do the whole job, don't bother. You WILL be disappointed.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
My question is will I see a bigger difference on top of this mod if I was to install VT calipers, hubs, 296mm rotors, pads? (front only) ($800)

YES!

Eat_the_poo_poo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Do it once, do it right. Full VT brake setup including calipers, rotors, booster and master. Don't need to worry about the rears - they do just fine stock.

If you're not going to do the whole job, don't bother. You WILL be disappointed.

You make a clear point EYY.
Do you know if the VT twin piston calipers will bolt straight up to the VL caliper bracket??

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

You make a clear point EYY.
Do you know if the VT twin piston calipers will bolt straight up to the VL caliper bracket??
vt -vz calipers just bolt to the knuckle just same as what on your car now
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-vt-brake-upgrade.75831/