Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL brake upgrade to VT

Eat_the_poo_poo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Hi Guys, I recently did the VS/VT Brake booster/master cylinder upgrade.
Great difference in the pedal feeling. It's alot firmer and not spongey anymore.

My question is will I see a bigger difference on top of this mod if I was to install VT calipers, hubs, 296mm rotors, pads? (front only) ($800)

Or should I just get VL rotors with pads? (Front and back) ($300)

I mainly use the car for street driving and has about 350hp atw. The pads are on their way out soon.

Let me know your opinion =)

Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you will find that you need the VT brake caliper set up. Because swapping to a larger bore MC reduces the pressure placed on the pads, thus you will need to press harder to get the same braking.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The old spongy pedal is indicitive of the older brakes as they need the pressure from a smaller bore MC to make them work as well as they can, all be it not that well, compared to VT on. So essentially by fitting a larger MC alone, on a stock VL you reduce your braking efficiency.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The old spongy pedal is indicitive of the older brakes as they need the pressure from a smaller bore MC to make them work as well as they can, all be it not that well, compared to VT on. So essentially by fitting a larger MC alone, on a stock VL you reduce your braking efficiency.

Hummm...The 1" bore M/C was standard with the 308, and 304's....So this being the case, why would they reduce braking efficiency at the factory by fitting the larger capacity M/C, when they fitted the biggest motor available through the factory?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
its got to be vt-vy metal dual diaphragm b/m vs has the plastic booster yes any brake upgrade vt ve brembo willwoods twin /6 pot that the beauty of this mod is unlimited
i have a modified vt/vy b/m i got of ebay last year on my vs ute fitted ve321mm and there perfect and all the rears brakes have all been renewed including braided hoses from safebrake i haven t replaced the front hoses still using ones that came in the kit there only 6 years old anyway

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Personally I upgraded my VC to the VT front brake set up, with Bendix brake pads and crap Bosch rotors with just the original 15/16th M/C....Big improvement to begin with....I then put new braided flexible brake lines on the front, which improved them again.....I have only just put my 1"bore M/C on the car, but haven't driven it since I put it on, so I can't say it has improved it anymore.

The car has a warm 202, with unknown HP specs, but with the brake change, I'm more than happy, with the exception of the crappy cheap ass rotors I fitted

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hummm...The 1" bore M/C was standard with the 308, and 304's....So this being the case, why would they reduce braking efficiency at the factory by fitting the larger capacity M/C, when they fitted the biggest motor available through the factory?
I don't get what you're saying:confused:. There was no mention he has a V8. Unless I am mistaken the OP has replaced his smaller bore MC with a larger one, which if this is the case on stock 6cyl brake set up will be less efficient than it would with a smaller bore. If you replace a MC with a larger bore then you need different calipers for it to work properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The car has a warm 202, with unknown HP specs, but with the brake change, I'm more than happy, with the exception of the crappy cheap ass rotors I fitted

Yeah I have those Bosch on the front. Shithouse for sure. I'm waiting for the pads to wear out so I can fit my new RDA dimpled/slotted hardened rotors with a fresh set of QFM's.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don't get what you're saying:confused:. There was no mention he has a V8. Unless I am mistaken the OP has replaced his smaller bore MC with a larger one, which if this is the case on stock 6cyl brake set up will be less efficient than it would with a smaller bore. If you replace a MC with a larger bore then you need different calipers for it to work properly.

The VB to VP had the same caliper, be it a 6 or an 8...(Unsure about VR and VS).....With the 308 and later 5 litre (304), Holden put an 1" bore master cylinder instead of the 15"/16" bore master cylinder on......I know the VP (not sure about VL and VN) V8's had a larger diametre rotor and a slightly different caliper bracket to accommodate the larger rotor, but pre that, the rotors were interchangeable too

With this in mind, why would Holden put the larger bore master cylinder on their 308 and 5 litre from the factory, if it reduces braking efficiency?

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With this in mind, why would Holden put the larger bore master cylinder on their 308 and 5 litre from the factory, if it reduces braking efficiency?

That defies logic then, :confused: because a smaller bore MC places more pressure on the pads than a larger MC. Normally larger MC's are coupled with twin or more piston calipers. A larger rotor would compensate for a reduced pressure but seems pointless if essentially the braking efficiency remains the same. A firmer pedal does not necessarily mean better brakes. Firming up the pedal by adding braided lines will help.