Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Build ??

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Hi VL Peoples...

I have been thinking about building a nice VL... I have been waiting for a nice stock V8 to come along but I haven't found anything..

I have a 6cyl come along and it got me thinking how hard is it to get one licensed as a V8 after a conversion??

I might go a LS1?? with a T56 or I have a 5ltr out of a VR that I could use and convert to Carby?? ( Also have K-frame, lots of V8 suspension and a few other parts)..

What's the positive and Negative?? Should I wait for a Factory V8 that I will change anyways??

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
1st: Have a look on the Department of Transport site (WA), read tabs on "modifying a light vehicle".

2nd: Find a local certifying engineer & have a chat to him regarding your build.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
1st: Have a look on the Department of Transport site (WA), read tabs on "modifying a light vehicle".

2nd: Find a local certifying engineer & have a chat to him regarding your build.

I have had a bit of a look but was looking for anyone who's has been through the experience... To see what they thought..

No Engineers anywhere near me... Again I was just looking people who have done this and get their thoughts.. what to be mindful of..

Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why not build a turboed 6 cyl....They are a factory option and i believe they are getting impressive HP figures out of them, if that's what you are after

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
I did consider the Turbo option!! Can't say they have ever been my thing? I kind of like the V8's?? not after massive HP but something between 400 and 450rwhp... Be nice for a couple of events through the year down here..
I really like the original Holden 4.9ltr but would take a couple of $$ to get that HP but with the LS that's easy HP for not to mush $$.. Be good to find someone who has done one and have a chat about the problems they experienced along the way and how to work to avoid any headaches.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Unless you start with a HDT Group A or Walkinshaw you wont find a VL manual V8 car, so a manual 6 cylinder is a good starting point. Turbo cars had LSD & disc brakes as STD again a good base spec to start with.

There are many ways to achieve your end result, highly modified 5ltr engines, LS1 or LS2, supercharger or turbo options. 450rw hp isn't going to be cheap. If its a driver you want, go to the auctions sites & bid on a written off VF Clubsport (or similar) then you have most of the bits you will need & part exchange the parts out you end up not using.

Ie: LS 3 from an R8/HSV/Clubsport or similar, 325kW 550Nm std spec, TR 6060 6sp manual, BW75 3.91/4.1:1 C/w True-trac & billet 28/31 spline axles.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you go down the LS route it will almost certainly need to be engineered if you want it to be legal. Find an engineer and talk to them before you commit if you want to go down that path.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Thanks for Posting the clip.... It did make me miss my old Brock...

I would have to agree that finding a VL V8 will be almost impossible.. I would have been happy with a VL V8 Auto?? lol ..

HP is never cheap.. if I was to go down the LS path I will get a donor car, did this with my last little mini project and it just makes life so much easier.. I'm luck that I have K-Frames and a Diff that should go in ok and I think I have V8 suspension and brakes in the shed?? ... Tail shaft will be a custom job I'm sure.

Unless you start with a HDT Group A or Walkinshaw you wont find a VL manual V8 car, so a manual 6 cylinder is a good starting point. Turbo cars had LSD & disc brakes as STD again a good base spec to start with.

There are many ways to achieve your end result, highly modified 5ltr engines, LS1 or LS2, supercharger or turbo options. 450rw hp isn't going to be cheap. If its a driver you want, go to the auctions sites & bid on a written off VF Clubsport (or similar) then you have most of the bits you will need & part exchange the parts out you end up not using.

Ie: LS 3 from an R8/HSV/Clubsport or similar, 325kW 550Nm std spec, TR 6060 6sp manual, BW75 3.91/4.1:1 C/w True-trac & billet 28/31 spline axles.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
When done engineering is a must... don't want anything dodgy..

I'm about 400km from any engineer that would be able to help, might be a trip to Perth in the coming weeks...

If you go down the LS route it will almost certainly need to be engineered if you want it to be legal. Find an engineer and talk to them before you commit if you want to go down that path.