Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl commodore water pump and timing belt

julian rusty

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore na
Hey guys just wondering what Is the best timing belt and water pump to put on my vl commodore 1987 stock manual

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
gates water pump

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Gates are Chinese **** now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like I said ;)
seems everything is chinese sheet even the carona virus, but it will do the job for a standard 6cyl

OP can choose whatever he wants I guess. I know that Gates won't warranty their junk pumps unless you have a letter from the garage that fitted it. I ended up buying another Gates even though they wouldn't warranty it, as I fitted it myself. When the mech who rebuilt half my engine was presented with a Gates, another new GMB and a SH Japanese GMB he chose to fit the new in box GMB. I'm glad he did because this time the GMB I bought from the engine rebuilders seems to be of decent quality as six months on, it hasn't leaked.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Gates are Chinese **** now.
What isn't made in China, Ebola virus, they say its going to cost the economy billions in lost trade with china, all our beautiful food cant be exported to china in return for sh*t fish and radioactive vegetables with human faeces..
Never had a issue with Gates but I haven't used one for 10 years or more.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
OP can choose whatever he wants I guess. I know that Gates won't warranty their junk pumps unless you have a letter from the garage that fitted it. I ended up buying another Gates even though they wouldn't warranty it, as I fitted it myself. When the mech who rebuilt half my engine was presented with a Gates, another new GMB and a SH Japanese GMB he chose to fit the new in box GMB. I'm glad he did because this time the GMB I bought from the engine rebuilders seems to be of decent quality as six months on, it hasn't leaked.
Not sure if your talking about your buick 6cyl or the nissan vl 6cyl, I thought gates were made in the usa, maybe there are cheap chinese ebay copies now ?? ... my son has fitted gates pumps on his 2 VL's and they have been holding up well for a few years, with no leaks, work fine and even ok with his aftermarket turbo calais which has more mods done than the other stock factory berlina.

You said .... it hasn't leaked yet.. reminds me of that song by tina turner ... what's leaks got to do with it hehehe