Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Cutting out. Help!!!

R

Rinn_P

Hey All,

Im new on here. I am having some problems with my 87' VL Berlina. Whats happening is;

- cuts out at unpredictabble times (of course at the shop it works like a dream...when i get it home it konks out)
- Driving along and the car will loose all power, eventually cut out, battery light shows, and semi-loss of steering/breaks. I have had the following things replaced recently

- Air Duct (air mass sensor to throttle body - broken air induction pipe)
- 4 pin conector replaced
- fault fixed in EFI system
- had crank angle sensor replaced
- and have had a full DYNO check etc

The car still plays up and no matter how long I leave it in the shop for they can never get it to cut out while there, therefore limits the things they can check. Im really frustrated!! What else could it be? Fuel blockage??? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I travel interstate a lot and dont want to be stuck on a highway at 1am in the morn!!

Rinn

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
fuel pumps or injectors.

J

jethro32

I'm in the process of repairing what seems to be a similar problem with my vl turbo. If the codes shown in diagnostic mode in the ECU are anything to go by it appears the ignition system contains the fault (code 21). I am thinking of changing the coil and/or the power transistor maybe leads as well. I was advised by people that it may be the crank angle sensor but the ECU fault codes do not suggest that it is faulty. By the end of this week I should know more.........I'll keep you posted.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Just a little note: When my car was playing up not too long ago, it was surging and backfiring, couldn't drive anywhere without it carrying on. There was definately a fault, and I was receiving no spark every now and then.

I checked for faults, none came back. But it was the CAS. They usually don't show up until they're fully busted. Apparently.

F

FORSTAIR

i had the same sort of problem with mine and i found if it was warm then would cut out it ended up being the temp sensor you might want to look at that or crank angle sensor plug it could old and coroded

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
i read on other threads that the bottom bearing should be replaced with the CAS, is this true? check for orange dust in the dizzy and if this is evident then the bearing wasnt done and the dust is messing with the signal.

E

evl

had a similar prob recently it was cutting out at the lights beside a wrx ect<<<""shame"">>> changed afm, temp sensor , air regulator , fuel regulator , plugs , leads , dizzy , re did the loom. heres the worst bit my fuggn coil was burnt out where the lead plugs in. when it got hot it couldnt produce enough spark so i took a lead off an it started. got a new coil now an its like a new recond engine. hail the vl

R

Rinn_P

What is this bottom bearing thing? Obviously I dont know a huge amount about engines etc! I had a call from the mechanic and he is going to replace the CAS (AGAIN!!!), and also the fuel line or something. This problem has cost me almost $2000 now which is probably more than the car is worth! I will talk to him about the bottom bearing anyway. Will keep you posted as this seems like a pretty common problem with VLs

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Take it to holden they will be able to diagnose it propery they have all the righ diagnostic equipment and have no doubt dealt with these problems before.

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
Rinn_P said:
What is this bottom bearing thing? Obviously I dont know a huge amount about engines etc! I had a call from the mechanic and he is going to replace the CAS (AGAIN!!!), and also the fuel line or something. This problem has cost me almost $2000 now which is probably more than the car is worth! I will talk to him about the bottom bearing anyway. Will keep you posted as this seems like a pretty common problem with VLs

There comes a point where he should be saying 'Im sorry ive wasted so much of your money Sir, how bout this ones on me'.