Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Cutting out. Help!!!

R

Rinn_P

Ended up getting the CAS and fuel pump replaced. It actually cost me less than i thought it would. I drove from the ACT to Victoria yesterday with no trouble so hopefuly that the end of it. Thanks for your healp guys. Oh, and im actually a girl. Anyway, thanks!

Rinn

coolvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
don't know if this will help but my Vl gave similar symptons and i eventually found a broken wire in the loom to the distributor.it would connect for a while then disconnect at random intervals.

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
well Rinn we werent too far off were we. I cant understand why it costs for the second one, i would have said "Sweet, cya".

H

heat1

When it stops Turn it over check for spark.This will elliminate a source.If it still wont run and it got spark has to be fuel. By a book pn Vls at supercheap the only way to fix these things economicaly is to do the ground work yourself join NRMA get them to have a look at it when it stops they are the best diognosis guys they see all the probs every day.
You will have the same problem after you replace the fuse so to speek. i.e If you replace the crank angle sencor and dont seal up the ruptured protective boot with silicone it will corrode (the connections usually corrode over on the crank angle sensor due to moisture getting in. )Puts a green layer over the little pins. you can get inox from super cheap and it gets rid of it but you must blow out the residue as it sort of drowns the connections and it still wont work. Get NRMA.

H

heat1

Cool. dont run low on fuel all the time the fuel filter is after the pumps etc so when you run low all the gunk goes into your good pump.

A

alex french

dont be silly

it has to be the battery leads cause when they fiddle with a car they dont tighten the leads up as much

hz2vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 86
Cheap thing you can check yourself

Hi, I found my problem that had the same sort of behavior.
Have a look on the inside of the mudguard beside the battery.
Autos have 3 relays, and I think that manuals would have one.

One of them is a metal one that looks a bit like the one in the photo.
The inside is shown in the other photo.

This relay should never operate, as it is there to protect the electronics is someone connects the battery up the wrong way.

It supplies power to all of the injectors, (through all that green and brown crap you can see in mine).

I replaced mine with a short piece of heavy wire with a male spade terminal on each end. This is stuck in the relay socket to join the orange/black wire to the red wire.

My car is running the best it has since I got it :w00t: :thumbsup: :yeah:

Check yours and let us know what you find.

Attachments

• rev_pol_outside.JPG
    rev_pol_outside.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 450
  • rev_pol_inside.JPG
    rev_pol_inside.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 467

lukee1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 2001 3.8 lt
Cheap thing you can check yourself

Hi, I found my problem that had the same sort of behavior.
Have a look on the inside of the mudguard beside the battery.
Autos have 3 relays, and I think that manuals would have one.

One of them is a metal one that looks a bit like the one in the photo.
The inside is shown in the other photo.

This relay should never operate, as it is there to protect the electronics is someone connects the battery up the wrong way.

It supplies power to all of the injectors, (through all that green and brown crap you can see in mine).

I replaced mine with a short piece of heavy wire with a male spade terminal on each end. This is stuck in the relay socket to join the orange/black wire to the red wire.

My car is running the best it has since I got it :w00t: :thumbsup: :yeah:

Check yours and let us know what you find.
weres photo of wat u did u show the problem but not a fix thanks heaps

L98SSUTEDET

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Ok guys just reading through this thread thought id add one of my experience with the beloved rb30 VL.
So this grandpa driven VL Vacationer had in intermittent problem where it would suddenly loose all power! wouldn't stall, would backfire just pretty much go to idle until id back off the throttle n gently re apply. as soon as id give it to much, cuts out again!

Now cutting a very lengthy diagnostic scenario short, when the beast would go like a bat out of hell and not miss a beat, the power light or OD button would work! when at fault press that orange button 10 times with no result!

Traced it to being a loosing wire on the plug under the steering wheel under the dash going into the TCM. what lead me to that was when ever it would do the fault id grab the wring harness going to the TCM and away she went no isssues again.