Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Cutting out while driving.

NOI23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe, VL Wagon (Daily)
Hey guys, I went for a cruise to the sunny coast yesterday, on the way there everything was fine no dramas at all. When I got to Caloundra I pulled into a servo to get something to eat, maybe 10 mins? As I was leaving the servo, when I got up to around 25kmh the car just cut off completely but didn't stall (like a fuel cut), it was like it was rolling in neutral, then all of a sudden it came back on again. It continued to do this and the people behind me were getting annoyed so I pulled over for a quick look. The engine revved fine, the car loaded up on the brake fine, but as soon as it got wheel speed it did it again. I tried using 1st and drive (Car is automatic) didn't make a difference. I tried using 2nd, it was better but still cut out. By this time Id had enough so I got it towed back home. When it got home I took it for a drive up the street and everything was fine again, I was so pissed off. I've left the battery off overnight to reset the ECU but any ideas?? :help:

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Was this out the front of BP Caloundra?

Kinng

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Car has gone into limp home mode mine did this a while back all i did was unplugged the afm sprayed in some inox. Plugged it back in and reset the ecu. Hasn't done it since. Mine did it all the way home from caloundra up the nicklin way to pacific paradise

So something has forced it into limp home
Mode

NOI23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe, VL Wagon (Daily)
Car has gone into limp home mode mine did this a while back all i did was unplugged the afm sprayed in some inox. Plugged it back in and reset the ecu. Hasn't done it since. Mine did it all the way home from caloundra up the nicklin way to pacific paradise

So something has forced it into limp home
Mode

Thanks Nath, I thought this may of been the case. Talked to the mechanic at work today and told me that's what it might be, think the gearbox may have got a bit too hot.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
What's your fluid level like? May have to purchase a trans cooler off eBay and install it. Easy fast job daisy chain it through the stock trans cooler in the rad then onto aftermarket cooler and back to gearbox. So it's getting a double hit of cooling the fluid. Being nearly 30 years old something could be starting to fail or a sensor and forced it into limp home mode