Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Dash into VH

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
On my previous thread darkmoon metioned gettinbg a vl dash and some style dials, I looked at the dials and think they look great. After failing to win the sl/e dash on ebay (slept in and got outbid) i've rung around and found one but they want $75 (rip off). Basically all i want is the tacho, I looked at prices in shop ranging from $60-150 ($60 for a cheap tacho is a rip-off).
Now this vl dash idea is intriging, There's a couple on ebay with full instruments and tacho going pretty cheap. I want to know the following.
1: Will it fit (i assume it will)?
2: Will my speedo cable plug in and work to a degree (mines out already so it doesn't bother me)?
3: Do the volt, temp, fuel gauges hook up and work the same way as vh?
4: is it worth the effort i like the look with style dials but if it cost is going to be more than $75 i will prolly just get the sl/e dash

If anyone has done this conversion or has a sl/e dash or small tacho(I hate those monster types and people just steal them) they wish to sell let me know.

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
You'd be better off trying to source a SL/E dash rather than trying to fit a VL one... The VL one has different mounting points and wiring... alot of mucking around, besides, the SL/E one will still give it the genuine look... just my opinion, but everones different...

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah i just don't want to pay a lot for just the tacho (which is all i want) i might just buy a small old one of ebay

V

VL CALO

i had a vk with the stupid ugly eco gauge i went to U-Pull it and got a whole cluster with tacho for $16

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
well i found a whole sl/e dash with a working trip computer on ebay got it for $60 (buy it now price) top ****! $15 cheaper than a wreckers and i get a trip computer the guy says he's also got the harness so all is good

Last edited:

jd hot stuff

355 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL 355 stroker, VZ V6
Man thats lucky, it looks to be in really good shape, i also have a trip computer in my dash but is does't work so might be in luck if it works.

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
the trip computer wont work without the sl/e sender units and vh sl/e speedo cable and computer for the trip readings...

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I could probably get them off the guy as he's wrecking a car What sender units are they do you think the trip computer would work with a manual gearbox?

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yeah, it should be ok with a manual if its a aussie 4, because they have the same end on the speedo cable as a tri-matic, anything else and you'll prob have troubles... as for the sender units, you'll need the oil pressure unit, and most importantly, the unit in the middle of your speedo cable, between ur trans end and the speedo gauge end... this give you the signal to the trip computer for speed readings... you may also need the fuel sender unit for fuel consumption readings, but off the top of my head, i cant remember where it gets that specific signal... i hope this has helped a bit anyways...

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah thanks for that atrail308 i picked the dash up yesterday i also got the master control module and the loom. After reading your post i'm not going to bother putting it in as i have a 5 speed (M76) so i don't think it's going to work. The guy reckon's it all worked but i don't want spend anymore money trying to get something i don't really need working. With the oil pressure sender unit do you think an aftermarket sender unit will work for the pressure gauge?