Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Diff Upgrade Questions.

Kempy9991

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Berlina, N/A, Auto
Hey all. Just to state one thing before I go any further. I'm only just starting to learn about working on cars, but have a bit of knowledge, currently studying Cert 3 Auto (First Year Apprentice).

I've been doing a bit of reading and obviously all the Borg Warner BW75 / 78 series internals are interchangeable.

Originally I was going to just put 4.11:1 's in out of a Pintara (which is easy) but now I'm thinking about putting a Skyline R31 Series 3, 4-pinion cone type lsd centre in my housing with VL Turbo 28 Spline Axles and doing the 4.11:1 's.

Just wondering if anyone has done anything of the sort and some opinions on my idea

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They're the same as the cup and cone Commodore LSDs. Waste of time unless it's been rebuilt (recently), it'll be more than 25 years old and made of dust probably.

Kempy9991

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd get it rebuilt before install. But still, is it a good idea instead of vn - vp centre and having to tub?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VL turbo 28 spline axles are gold plated or they better be for what people want for em.

The LSD centres should be the same so use what ever is the easiest/cheapest to get and get it rebuilt.

Kempy9991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. Will look around and see what I can get. R31 Series 3 LSD would be mint

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd get it rebuilt before install. But still, is it a good idea instead of vn - vp centre and having to tub?

Tub what? They will bolt in without mods, they're anywhere from 20-30mm per side wider (depending on where you read) but you don't need body mods to use them. And you get disc brakes.

For the cost of the rebuild though I'd still be weighing up something a little more proven for longevity and more predictability like a TruTrac or a Kaaz. Really depends on how much your diff guy wants.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
VN-VS, XF-AU, VL turbo, R31 Skyline/pintara all the same centers (except of course 2 & 4 pinion centers and different spline count in the VL/pintara), i'd pick stuff out of a commodore to work with though. Falcons are notorious for having noisy/stuffed centers.
Skyline/pintara were also notorious for worn diff/noise and i've only even been in a couple that were quiet, they were setup wrong from factory and unless the parts come from a car with the factory recall sticker in the door jamb it's not worth touching.

Here's a couple of links to other forums with good info:

diff-information-thread-basics-salisbury-borgwarner-bw78-ford-9
Everything I know about 9-Bolt Rearends

Last edited:

Kempy9991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers everyone. Have a few things to consider. And the reason for sourcing skyline parts is because where I'm located (Hobart, Tasmania) There isn't a lot of vl turbo parts and when there is it's an arm and a leg you're paying.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I was going to suggest looking in vic for parts/complete car and boating over... until i looked up pricing on the ferry.... seems like it costs 3x as much for you guys to leave your island than to return.

Then again is it a cheaper option to come for a 2 day holiday and get what you need compared to selling a kidney on the black market.

I'm sure there enough people on the forum to tell you what to look out for when buying second hundred hand gear.
High res, close up images of all described parts are easy to send over the interwebs so you can be sure what you are looking at is the correct thing.

So a pic of a completely degreased, shiny and polished rear drive would be a waste of time.

But you want an lsd so you definitely without question want to see the carrier inside before handing over cash, if the cones are bottomed out then you are ####ed.
If the seller is not willing to simply remove a cover so you can see:
A) the oil color and amount of glitter in it
B) check the cones via the windows in the carrier

Then tell em to take a long walk, off a short plank, in the shark infested waters near the african coast.

Last edited:

Kempy9991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for your help mate. A quick trip over the mainland sounds the go. (After sourcing parts and ensuring they're good condition of course)