Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl drivers side door window

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
i posted this on ct, but their useless...::

I'll try explain as best I can.. But I dunno how I'll go lol.

So my friends drivers side window doesn't work when fully closed it still has a huge gap..

So I pulled apart the door and saw the glass wasn't in it's runners along the side.. So after a little battling I got the glass in the rails..
So now it opened well and closed pretty firmly.. Like I needed a litle pressure to close it but when closed it wasnt right and u had to get out and pull the class and it would close fully..

I was just wondering how I would get it opening and closing smootly and properly.. I am very good mechanically wise.. I just like knowing what I have to do for it to be done right the first time..

Thanks for reading and hopefully you can help

Thanks

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Jonnoo

Any chance you missed getting the glass into the rubber channel at either end? It's possible to have the glass running between the steel frame and the rubber channel.

If that's not the prob, check the condition of the rubber channels to ensure nothing is torn inside them. If a piece of rubber tears, it can double back on itself and create excess friction when the glass is wound up.

Another option is to adjust the steel frames that the channel fits into. I think it has an adjustment screw at the bottom, which lets you move the channel back and forth to get the adjustment right. You have to remove the door trim to get at it.

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
yeah nah they both went in,
ill have another look later on when im with her again but i got the back in first then the front,

i will have a look for this ajustment screw

we are happy that u can have it fully closed now, because before i had a go at fixing it it was out way more,

i just want it fixed perfectly

so ill look for this sceww and have a play around :)

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I have this EXACT problem on my drivers side window! I thought it was due to the bailey channels so I replaced them both (driver & passenger) and it still does it, unless I grab the window with my left hand and pull up/towards the back of the window, it is REALLY hard to shut, I have to wind it really slow & sort of wind up, down, up, down etc, like the window is pushing towards the front of the car all the time. Winding down is fine, as is the passenger window. Due to this problem, I have a gap in the top corner of my window so air/water gets in (When I wash it)

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
^ hers was like that but worse, but so still u couldnt wind it and the window had about a 5mm gap and that waas as closed as u could get!

now it will be fuly shut closed and it isnt rought its quite smooth to wind now, but u still have to pull it shut in the very last bit
thats what im trying to fix :(

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I wonder if that Graphite Powder or whatever it is that people use to lube their window channels would work? On my ute I just sprayed WD-40 into the channels haha

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
wd40 NOOOOOOO! use silicone spray and try not to use it excessively as it is a real bast@rd to get it off the glass, spray it directly into the channel, spray some put the window up and down and spray some more and put the window up and down etc...etc.......
the fact is your window regulator is 20 some odd yrs old and you will notice it is the drivers side window, which is the most commonly used.

Jonno

Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
that will help with the smoothness of it, but what about having to pull it shut? would that be in the ajustment?

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
to my understanding the rear window regulator can be adjusted BUT the front windows CAN NOT be adjusted.

lukee1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 2001 3.8 lt
i have the problem after a night or 2 the window drops a few cms thought some1 was trying to break in but it keeps happening any fixes and drivers side door handle to open door from outside really needs to be lifted to work fixes for that any1