Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl electricial issue with indicator and brake lights

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hey all,

I have a electricial issue with the vl which has happened recently it's and its driving me crazy and I need to sort it out.

Below is what is happening.

1- when I apply the brake pedal, If the indicators are on, the indicator will then off and not come on until the brake pedal is let off.

2- when the headlights are on, the indicators do not work at all.

I have checked all bulbs and non are blown.

The only thing that has been done is a new bosch 044 fuel pump fitted with a new power supply cable and its own relay as well.

Can someone give me some assistance on things I can start checking? Or if you had the same issue, how was it fixed?

Thanks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
check to see if the indicators loose the power side or the earth side when the brakes or headlights are on, if they loose the earth side then it sounds like the indicators are using the other globes as earth until they have power to them then they loose earth and go out, same with headlights, i dont think they could share a power and work without blowing a fuse in this situation or all staying on, odd tho just a guess for something to check

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
check to see if the indicators loose the power side or the earth side when the brakes or headlights are on, if they loose the earth side then it sounds like the indicators are using the other globes as earth until they have power to them then they loose earth and go out, same with headlights, i dont think they could share a power and work without blowing a fuse in this situation or all staying on, odd tho just a guess for something to check

Whats the best way to check this? Do i need a multimeter for this test?

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Back earths at the taillights will be the starting point.....Common issue

Would that be a physical earth attached to the rear of the car somewhere or the earths in the actual taillight globe holders?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Would that be a physical earth attached to the rear of the car somewhere or the earths in the actual taillight globe holders?

There should be 2 earths that use the taillight bolts....One either side of the car.

I have personally moved mine from those spots to another open bolt hole either side of the taillights, on the upper side of the inner panel, towards the centre of the car, and used a nut and bolt to earth it out....

When you look at the taillights, you should see the earths and what I am referring to... :)

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
There should be 2 earths that use the taillight bolts....One either side of the car.

I have personally moved mine from those spots to another open bolt hole either side of the taillights, on the upper side of the inner panel, towards the centre of the car, and used a nut and bolt to earth it out....

When you look at the taillights, you should see the earths and what I am referring to... :)
I had a look and I couldn't find any earth points which use the tail light bolts which I found strange and wonder how it previously worked.

What i did to test it was i ran a wire from one of the taillight ground wires to the chassis and tested it, problem solved :)

Do I possibly need to also ground the right side as well?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had a look and I couldn't find any earth points which use the tail light bolts which I found strange and wonder how it previously worked.

What i did to test it was i ran a wire from one of the taillight ground wires to the chassis and tested it, problem solved :)

Do I possibly need to also ground the right side as well?

Yes, I would....Not grounding one side can cause the issue where you brake whilst indicating and the indicator will stay on, rather than flash

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Yes, I would....Not grounding one side can cause the issue where you brake whilst indicating and the indicator will stay on, rather than flash
Ill add another ground to the other side and test it to make sure it's working properly.

Thanks all for your help