Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL endless problems!

VS Goon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore wagon V6
Okay everyone, I need help with my VL.
It's had sooo many problems i'm almost about to give up!

Originally it would run fine, then one day was really underpowered then my brother got it bogged, after a while of revving it hard and getting stuck deeper, he gave up. So one day about 3 weeks after, I towed it out, started it and would run really rough and even foot to the floor it would take 10 seconds to rev to even 5 thousand.

First it wouldn't start or even try to start, it had fuel and plenty of spark (checked spark at the leads, should have checked at plugs though!)
So I replaced the internal fuel pump, tried to start again and had the same problem, had fuel pressure and spark but still wouldn't start. So i decided to check to check the plugs. The plugs were black as and kinda oily, so i cleaned them up with some sand paper and compressed air. At first I cleaned the 1 & 6 plug just to see if it made any difference and bam, it started straight up. So i decided to clean all the plugs and it ran about the same as only cleaning the 1 & 6 plug (blew a bit of white smoke at idle and a fair bit at any higher RPM, also when i'd rev then back off it would die down alot and occasionally stall). I also heard a ticking which im 99% sure is the injectors (had two people confirm it), i also ran a bottle of lifter free in it to be sure and it didn't change anything.
After that it would still blow smoke and almost stall so I check the AFM, and went to super cheap and bought a can of AMM cleaner for $25.00, sprayed it on there, waited a bit, put it together and started it again, it did idle a bit better but still blew smoke and would almost stall when i stopped revving. I checked the voltage of the AFM and it was low (lean i think) about 1.23V at pins 4 and 3. I tried turning the screw and that number didn't even budge. The leads have a resistance of about 1000ohms which is fine.
so i've decided to turn to you guys

I'm at my wits end! I've had so many problems, at first the engine had a massive knock and one day decided to blow a hole out the block, with the piston getting stuck half out too. So I got a replacement motor and got someone to put it in and it ran fine for a while then one day didn't run right by being underpowered as i said.

So please everyone, I NEED HELP!

VS Goon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore wagon V6
I only know one person who has a VL and they're fairly busy at the moment but then they have some free time i'll definitely get them around to give it a try :)
I have thought it might be the cas but can't really see why and don't have enough money to try it only to find out that isn't the problem

Thanks mate

oldtiger57

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore
Go through this site to find--how to dismantle the dizzy,you will get to the CAS,where there are 3 screws-make sure they are done up tight-all is clean,NO DUST,put back together--see how it runs.
Had much the same problems as you--as described above,this solve it!!

VS Goon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore wagon V6
Can you tell me what problems you had? I'll definitely give it a go :)
Thanks

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
It must of been built on a monday or a friday i have had cars like that with endless problems good luck with it cheers Travis.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
welcome to world of vl's

wait until you try making it fast then you will have problems

VS Goon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore wagon V6
Okay everyone, thanks for the input!
I just figured that cause it still spark then the CAS would be fine. \
Also like to add that the plugs are very black again, no rounded electrode. Just blacker then Obama.

I'll take the CAS out tomorrow using detox_nath83's How-To, and report back with my findings. I don't have another CAS to put in so i'm hoping for something obvious so I know that it's the problem.

Cheers everyone, Nick