Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL fuel and oil gauge fix

Dundee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VL Calais wagon
*VL Calais*

Grabbed a few ideas from previous threads, and came up with a tweak to fix my oil pressure and fuel gauges on the VL.

I tried a few ways and ended up with a solid fix for both gauges.

V1 - I did it similar to an old thread on here where the PCB is removed from the back of the instrument cluster. Then a wire is soldered from the input wire to the gauge press fitting. I found this stopped the oil pressure gauge getting a contact, and so fixed the fuel gauge but broke the oil gauge.

V2 - rerouted the wire - but this one lifted the PCB in a different spot, which bent the PCB and I didn't like it.

V3 - unfortunately I did not get a decent pic, so drew the wire route in blue in pics. I soldered the wire to the input again, but then ran the wire through the instrument cluster. Drilled a 4mm hole though the top of the main housing, and ran the wire through the top. Then routed the wire out the back of the housing down to the fuel gauge pin and soldered that on. That routing is highlighted in yellow in the last pic. This fixed everything, the only dissadvantage being that if I need to take the cluster apart again I need to desolder the wire - not that big a deal to me.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 33
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 32
  • V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 30
  • V3a.jpg