Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl fuel Pump Advice

Jasonm711

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL currently N/A
Hello so I’m at the point of replacing my fuel pump or pumps in my vl turbo in preparation of the new engine

Has anyone on here bypassed the external pump completely and just ran a good internal pump im considering just installing a walbro 460lph internal since it’s a better performing pump than most externals would also eliminate all the noise I recently seen a vlt for sale that was actually just running a 255lph internal pump so got me thinking

Anyways just wanting some opinions my build is only going to be around 320-350kw max on e85 so the 460lph would be ideal but would the stock wiring/fuse support it I don’t know? Any other issues I may encounter?

Thanks

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the walbro 460 has a fatter bottom not sure if it will fit in thru the hole with the sender in tank, u will prob need a better regulator as the stock one will not return enough fuel from a bigger pump like that and a swirl pot so it cant run dry

Jasonm711

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL currently N/A
the walbro 460 has a fatter bottom not sure if it will fit in thru the hole with the sender in tank, u will prob need a better regulator as the stock one will not return enough fuel from a bigger pump like that and a swirl pot so it cant run dry
Yes upgraded the reg fuel rail injectors etc. just haven’t decided on fuel pump was hoping to see if anyone on here is successfully running just the internal

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u can fit one in there it will work fine even a 340lph smaller pump if that suits your fuel needs, the OE only have two pumps as the second is higher then the bottom of the tank so a lift pump just feeds the main, not sure if bosch do a high flow 38mm may suit, also will need at least 30 amp relay for them

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Anyways just wanting some opinions my build is only going to be around 320-350kw max on e85 so the 460lph would be ideal but would the stock wiring/fuse support it I don’t know? Any other issues I may encounter?
Brothers VLT over 300kw E85, larger injectors, walbro intank pump and the original bosh external pump (total around 500lph), both on separate relays/fuses wired/mounted in boot in separate wiring, using larger fuel line with aftermarket fuel reg mounted end of brake m/c bracket. He was going to change to single larger walbro as your thinking to do but it was tuned with 2 pumps hence why setup wasn’t changed when replacing failing intank walbro.

Issues with single big pump below ½ tank as mentioned pot not filling quickly enough with larger injectors/more fuel use with E85 and when at top/rising psi wot along with small factory return line/venturi in tank pot and IF possible pump failure/lean out at boost/wot.
Stock wiring not adequate. Also be aware E85 turns expensive engine oil to **** rather quickly.

Wog087

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Yeah, lots either run Walbro pumps, also another one being the Bosch 070