Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl gear in other cars?

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
Has anyone every put all the vl running gear and interior into other cars? i have a wrecked vl and looking for something else to put all the parts in. any ideas?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i've seen them in WBs and datsun's. VKs etc etc. the list goes on. you can put almost any motor in any vehicle if you want to put the effort in.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
as far as straight bolt up parts goes im pretty sure most VL/VK stuff is interchangable. like interior bits. alot of exterior bits :). Sumthing have always wondered was if the VK grp3 rear bar would fit a VL, any1 know?

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
i got 2 vb commodores today i will put all my vl gear in one of them;) :w00t:

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
You can put any motor in any vehicle as long as the motor is not of an earlier year than the vehicle, due to emmisions laws etc. otherwise the car can't be registered.

Yeah vb-vk would be the easiest. although you will have to mount the cat somewhere other than the standard place because vb-vk doesn't have the hump on the floor of the passenger side.

G

Grantis1976

I know this may upset afew people, but think power / weight !

Light car = better acceleration, cornering, fuel econemy.......................

stuff it in a Gemini !
:w00t:

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
it won't fit in a gemini correctly without a lot of modifying. I tried that last year and put it in the too hard basket

Big-Stu

Reaction score
Members Ride
'83 VH slightly modded
I put a VL motor, auto gearbox, dash etc in a VH about 6 months ago. I thought it would take 6 weeks but 3 months later it was finally done. Yes the cat was one of the many little problems along with the A/C, the dash, the radiator, the fuel tank, the auto gearbox rear mount, etc. All of these little problems were expected.
I gotta say it was worth the effort. The VH has done 95,000k, one owner, immaculate condition. It just didn't like ULP and no power steering.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
You end u seeing rb30ets in toranas.

The only rb30 that i have seen in a gemini they moved the firewall back a fair bit- was quite an effort by the looks of it. I actually thought about it before undertaking my current project.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yeah V6/v8 into gemini is pretty straight forward (for some), but a straight 6 would really have trouble squeezing in there.

There is a datsun 200b getting around with rb30e. It looks dead stock so its a nice sleeper.

Another bloke I used to know on the torana forum had an LJ GTR with rb30et, his only hassle was too sharp a drivelshaft/CV joint angle.