Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Handbrake Not Working

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I loooked underneath the VL; the U shaped bracket that holds the handbrake cable was lose and had come off the bracket completely.

I undid the two nuts that hold the bracket in place, reconnected the handbrake cable to the U shaped bracket and then took up the cable slack by screwing down the nut onto the face of the bracket and then secured that nut with the locking nut.

Problem:

The handbrake handle inside the car, it just moves forward and backwards in the console and has no effect on the rear breaks.

*When I was under the car, I noticed that the threaded rod that holds the cable, bracket, and 2 nuts seemed to be lose (It moved in and out with no resistance) inside a box type thing that is attached to the underneath of the car.

Could anyone suggest if a component is broken or why the handbrake won't work? the handbrakes gets used everyday because the driveway is steep.

Any help appreciated:)

Holdfast

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
hey mate had this problem before, pull ya centre console out and that rod your talking about you will be able too see inside the car. the handbrake is held in one position and it pivots on a pin when you pull it up/release it...

now as for that rod it should be on a pin type thing on the back of the handbrake, kinda hard to get to but if you pull your console out and have a look you will know what im on about

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Cheers mate, spot, on got her fixed, thanks for your help.:)

H