Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Head Units

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
why is it every time i see a VL with an aftermarket stereo it is never mounted properly? every VL i have look in at summernats this year always has the head unit installed so you can see (from the sides) the bottom of the metal casing? has anyone else ever noticed that? ill try to post a pic if i can get one so you can see what i mean. i had the same problem in my VL. maybe aftermarket ones dont go in very well and the dash/center console has a shitty design. either that or there are just some **** installers out there!

E

EEVL

With my old dash, that I pulled out of the car (yep pulled out, very short temp) my head unit sat great. But now I have a new dash and yes the unit sits out at the bottom and sides.
The reason is the plastic at the bottom of the dash where the unit goes in. My last dash had it all cut flush, including the top plastic as well. Dose that make sense???

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I always thought it was because the rca's hit up against the wall and stopped the stereo from sliding in further.

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
when have installed headdecks in the past, i always filed down the little bits of plastic on the sides and the bottom.......then the head unit slid n and sat nicely. as for it stting out, most people usually use straight rca's but if you spend a little etra $$$, you get the right angled rca's and the stereo sits in there nicely!!!!

E

EEVL

hehee

When ya live in Darwin, heaters arnt a big thing. So again having a short temper, I fixed that problem with a big hole in the plastic cover for the heated begind the head unit. fits perfectly

E

EEVL

QUOTE (seventh path @ Jan 11 2004, 06:02 PM) when have installed headdecks in the past, i always filed down the little bits of plastic on the sides and the bottom.......then the head unit slid n and sat nicely. as for it stting out, most people usually use straight rca's but if you spend a little etra $$$, you get the right angled rca's and the stereo sits in there nicely!!!!
Yes and I used the right angle RCA's, but the conection for the stacker what was hitting the heater cover.
Another problem if you dont cut away the bottom and top plastic, is that the crable for the head unit cant have the locking tabs bent to stop the cradel sliding out with the unit..

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I got pissed off with seeing my head deck sitting out like that, saying "steal me! steal me!" and thus recently I modified the little shelf/cubby thing (technical term that) in front of the stick (most ppl prob but wallets, phones etc in there, you know what I mean) with rigid cardboard, carbon fiber film, and a hacksaw to flush mount the stereo there. I covered the stereo hole with carbon fibre film as well, in future I may mount switches on it. It looks and works absolutley mint and was worth the five hours it took me to get it right. I'll stick up pic's if I get a chance.

Mike.

K

Kiljoy VH

I just recently got an alpine head unit installed in my VH. The instal guy told me it was gonna sit out a little because the stereo was too wide at its face to slide all the way in. I think I'm gonna get a new console piece fabricated with the stereo slot offset to the left so it'll slide in all the way.

MuNtEd

Reaction score
In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
Members Ride
94 VR EXEC
i had the same problem

had a sony xplod head unit in my vl and i had it sitting nicely in there
but when i got my vr i took it of of my vl
then took the stock stereo out of the vr and put it in the vl
and it hangs out a bit
not really worried if someone steals it because it's a piece of **** stereo anyways

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
jetspin, you got any photo's of the stereo down in that little map holder bit.. im keen as to get a look at that.

email to [email protected] if you can, thanks
chris