Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL, Holden or Nissan???

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
ucwepn said:
No actually nissan created the rb30et, why they never fitted it to any of their own cars is indeed a mystery.

Wasn't it because the R31 motor had a few more kw than the one Holden got?

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
yeah i always wondered if i would e better off getting VS lexcen parts for my commodores if they were cheaper...then my uncle who works at thomas bros toyota in wagga said they didnt get lexcen parts in!!!

also while we are pointing out what car is what...then new alfa romeo's can be holdens, they use a 3.2L version of the alloytec...problem is that it goes harder to lol...

ah well i guess as someone said before you can really only name a car by the plates stamped onto it at the factory.

Henerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 5spd
VSCLUBBIE said:
Do you think that a VL can really be classed as a Commodore? OR should it be reconised as a Nissan?

to answer your question, the VL is a Holden, regardless of what engine it has, as we are talking about the car as a whole, not just the engine.

it would be silly to class a VL as a Nissan, how stupid.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
has the thread starter replied yet? im interested in what they have to say now they know their car is in the same pile of badge vs. engine bullplop debate....

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
VSCLUBBIE said:
Do you think that a VL can really be classed as a Commodore? OR should it be reconised as a Nissan?

After all, Imagine if they replaced the 5.0 litre for the VN onwards with a Toyota V8... You wouldn't class it a Commodore, surely!!! It would be like Ford replacing their 4.0 litre with a Lexus straight 6...We'd be baggin the crap out of them!

The toyota V8 would have been a much better engine *Prepares for flames*

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
The thread starter was obviously just trying to stir up the vl boys (and girls).

Ahhh I remember back in 1992 when the nissan skyline GTR with 600bhp rb26dett was dominant in group A racing in Oz . and all the so called fans of motorsport called for the axing of group A because our cars were not competitive. Thus V8 supercars was born and Bazza and Shazza were happy at last LOL

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
People who say no cars today should be badged as Holdens.. wait until the VE! Australian made from the ground up on GM's Zeta platform (which Holden had a massive part in developing), running the Australian designed Alloytech V6.

Using the logic from the original poster, there has never actually been a Holden Commodore, since VB-VZ have all been based on Opel chassis and share parts from the GM parts bin.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Australian designed alloytech.. lol, Australian edited alloytech, changed a few things and changed the name.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
did you guys know that the non turbo motor in the calibra's was the same one as in a SAAB, both are GM.
And to go deeper into the argument do you call a mazda 323 a ford laser or mazda 626 a ford telsar or other way around even?
I dont believe you should.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yeah Saab are owned by GM and so are Subaru, isuzu, suzuki